Firefighters quickly snuffed a fire reported in a kitchen at Jepson Road on Thursday morning.
STAMFORD, Vt. — A fire at 316 Jepson Road on Thursday morning left a home with extensive heat and smoke damage.
About 20 firefighters responded to the fire, which was reported at 5:57 a.m, and the scene was cleared by 8:30.
"When we first arrived, fire was venting out the kitchen window, and the family was already out of the house," said Fire Chief Paul Ethier. "Our guys did a good job and knocked it down pretty quickly with one hand line and foam."
Ethier said the entire family was out of the house and safe when fire crews first arrived at 6:01 a.m.
"The family was in bed and was alerted to the fire by working smoke detectors," he said.
The cause has yet to be determined, but is not considered suspicious. The home is insured and the American Red Cross was notified of the fire an provided assistance to the family.
Clarksburg Volunteer Fire Company and the North Adams Ambulance Service were also on the scene.
Stamford Accident Damages SUV, Fence
Staff Reports On: 05:45PM / Tuesday February 19, 2013
STAMFORD, Vt. — A single-car accident on Tuesday afternoon heavily damaged a car and fence, but the four passengers walked away uninjured.
According to state police, Juik Song, 23, was southbound on Main Road in a 2000 Ford Explorer at about 1 p.m. when he lost control of the vehicle and struck a mailbox, crashed through a fence and hit a tree at 1575 Main Road.
Song and his three passengers, all about the same age, were wearing seat belts and were uninjured. Police did not say where they were heading but they were all from out of state - Song and two of his passengers are from the Republic of Korea and the third from Aichi, Japan.
The conditions were dry and cloudy. The Explorer incurred damage to the front end, including both quarter panels, hood, grill, headlights, windshield, bumper and to the undercarriage.
The crash is still under investigation. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Trooper Stange of the Shaftsbury barracks at 802-442-5421.
Stamford Firefighters Respond to Report of Smoking Floor
Staff Reports On: 09:53PM / Thursday January 24, 2013
Firefighters were at a home on Main Road on Thursday night for reports of smoke in a floor.
STAMFORD, Vt. — Firefighters were at the scene of a reported structure fire on Main Road on Thursday evening.
The call came in around 8:40 of a possible fire in the floor of 1085 Main Road, near a woodstove. The floor was reportedly smoking.
With temperatures hovering around 10 degrees, firefighters stationed around the house while some entered with equipment. Smoke could be seen through the open front door, where firefighters appeared to be cutting through the floor.
Update: Fire Chief Paul Ethier emailed us the particulars Friday morning.
The call came in as a structure fire.
"The couple that lived at the home came home and found their house filled with smoke," said Ethier. "When we arrived on scene, we found fire burning through the floor structure below the woodstove in the living room. We knocked that down pretty quickly with one handline."
Ethier said the fire was contained to the area of origin but the home did sustain some minor structural damage. In addition, some electrical wires in the area were also damaged and will have to be replaced.
Firefighters removed two pets from the home; no one was injured.
"Our firefighters did a great job and were able to keep damage to a minimum," said the fire chief. "We initally called for mutual aid from Readsboro and Clarksburg, however, once we were able to get on scene and knock down the fire, firefighters from Readsboro were canceled."
Clarksburg firefighters stayed on the scene with their airtruck and refilled the SCBA bottles. The North Adams Ambulance Service was also on scene.
Accident Sends Wilmington Man to Hospital
Staff Reports On: 09:17AM / Tuesday January 22, 2013
STAMFORD, Vt. — An early morning accident sent a man to North Adams Regional Hospital Monday.
State police responded to the accident on Route 100. The northbound driver, 44-year-old Randy DeBlois of Wilmington, Vt., spun out of control on the snow-covered road and crossed into the southbound lane, according to the report. The southbound car, driven by Nathan Braman, 27, couldn't avoid a crash — the passenger side of the spun-out, northbound car collided with the front end of the southbound truck.
As a result, DeBlois was hospitalized with head injuries, lacerations and possible internal injuries. His car was totaled.
According to the report, alcohol "appears to be a contributing factor."
Stamford Fire Department Douses Early Morning Structure Fire
STAMFORD, Vt. — The Stamford Volunteer Fire Company responded to a structure fire on Friday morning at 2:19 at 186 Collins Road.
The couple renting the home was alerted to the fire by their daughter, who smelled smoke before working smoke detectors in the home sounded. The family evacuated the home and called 911.
When the fire company arrived at 2:28 a.m., firefighters found the wall behind the fireplace was on fire. The fire was quickly extinguished and parts of the wall and ceiling were removed to check for fire extension.
"The cause of the fire is still under investigation, however, it is believed to have been caused by a faulty chimney liner," said Fire Chief Paul Ethier.
Twenty firefighters from Stamford responded to the call as did firefighters from Readsboro and Clarksburg, Mass. The North Adams Ambulance Service was also on scene but there were no injuries. All units cleared the scene at 4:31 a.m.