PITTSFIELD, Mass. — One of three Somerville students accused of raping a teen with a broom in Otis has the right to post bail.
Central Berkshire District Court Judge Frederic Rutberg denied a petition on Friday calling for Galileo Mondol, 17,to be held without bail. Mondol is now being held on $100,000 cash or $1 million surety bail. If he posts bail, he is ordered not to have any contact either direct or indirect with any of the victims or witnesses, he be not able to attend Somerville High School and must abide by an 11 p.m. curfew.
Mondol has previously pleaded not guilty to three counts of assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, three counts of intimation of a witness, two counts of assault with intent to rape a child under 16 and single counts of aggravated rape of a child under 16 and indecent assault and battery on a person who has attained 14 years of age.
He is scheduled for a pre-trial conference in Southern Berkshire District Court in Great Barrington on Oct. 3
Mondol is accused of entering the cabin of freshman students at Camp Lenox in Otis and assaulting three male victims.
Updated Tuesday, September 3, 2013.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. - A Somerville High School student pled not guilty in Central Berkshire District Court Tuesday on allegations that he and two others raped younger students at Camp Lenox in Otis.
Galileo Mondol, 17, had not guilty pleas entered on his behalf on three counts of intimidation of a witness, three counts of assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault with intent to rape a child under the age of 16 and single counts of aggravated rape of a child under the age of 16 and indecent assault and battery on a child who has attained 14 years of age.
Mondol was attending the camp as part of a school program for team-building activities for the fall sports teams. On Sunday August, 25, Mondol is accused of going into a cabin occupied by freshman students and sexually assaulting three youths. Mondol is one of three students facing charges; the other two are juveniles and their names have not been released.
Judge Philip Beattie ordered that he be held at the Berkshire County House of Correction on $100,000 cash or $1 million surety bail. Mondol is expected back in court on Friday for a dangerousness hearing.
According to the Boston Globe, prosecutors say the three varsity soccer players went into the cabin and raped one freshman with a broom. Two other students were able to fight off the attacks but were still sexually assaulted. However, Mondol's attorney, William Korman says the students tried to end the assaults.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Three Somerville high school juniors have been arrested by state police in connection with a sexual assault in Otis over the weekend.
Galileo Mondol, 17, and two 16-year-old boys were arrested on Friday by state police assigned to the Berkshire district attorney's office.
District Attorney David F. Capeless said the assault occurred at Camp Lenox, which the city of Somerville had rented as a facility for team-building for its fall sports teams at Somerville High School. The teens are reportedly members of the varsity soccer team.
The defendants allegedly entered a cabin occupied by freshman on Sunday, Aug. 25, and assaulted three victims.
Mondol is being charged with single counts of aggravated rape of a child under 16 and indecent assault and battery on a person who has attained 14 years of age; two counts of assault with intent to rape a child under 16 and three counts of each of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and intimidation of a witness.
He is being held on $100,000 cash or $1 million surety bail pending arraignment Tuesday in Central Berkshire District Court. Capeless said the juveniles, whose names are being withheld at this point because of their age, will be arraigned in Berkshire Juvenile Court on similar charges.
The investigation is being conducted by state police assigned to the Berkshire and Middlesex district attorneys office and the Somerville Police Department.
According to Boston.com, school officials were apprised of the incident on Tuesday and contacted police. School Superintendent Tony Pierantozzi told media at news conference in Somerville that 161 athletes and 19 adult supervisors were at the camp.
Pierantozzi, High School Headmaster John J. Oteri and Somerville Mayor Joseph Curtatone, in a joint statement, thanked the Berkshire DA's office and state police for "their speed and diligence" in the investigation.
"We will continue to provide any resources and information the district attorney's office requires as this investigation continues. Right now we are focused on continuing to provide the support services to students, parents and our community needed for Somerville to come together and heal."
Capeless, in a statement, said the Somerville school authorities and coaches "acted quickly and appropriately when they became aware of these allegations" and he thanked Somerville Police and others for their cooperation and assistance.
Camp Lenox is privately run residential summer camp for boys and girls that offers sports, outdoors activities and arts. It's been in operation for more than 90 years. It rents the facility before and after the 8-week summer program.
Thousands Without Power in Neighboring Counties
By: Staff Reports On: 11:31AM / Thursday May 27, 2010
Our neighbors east of the Berkshires were hard hit by last night's severe thunderstorms. Thousands were left without power and Western Massachusetts Electric Co. says that 31,000 customers were still out at 10:30 this morning. It may take several days until all customers are fully restored.
Officials say they have engaged the help of contractor and neighboring utility crews to assist with damage assessment, clean up and restoration efforts, after overnight winds, heavy rain and lightning caused extensive damage in WMECo's service territory.
Hardest hit towns include: Amherst, Bernardston, Buckland, Deerfield, Easthampton, Gill, Greenfield, Hadley, Hatfield, Montague, Shelburne and Springfield. Currently there are more than 440 trouble spots.
In Berkshire County, about a 100 customers are still affected in Becket, Lanesborough, Otis, Sandisfield and Tyringham. The storm blew through North Berkshire around 11 p.m. on Wednesday.
National Grid was also reporting a large number of outages in Central Mass. Gov. Deval Patrick was visiting Turners Falls this afternoon to view the damage.
Because of the large number of road closures, WMECo plans to use a helicopter patrol over Franklin and Hampshire counties to better assess the amount of damage to its distribution system. WMECo said it continues to evaluate the extent of damage; at this time restoration times are not available.
In terms of numbers of customers affected, WMECo said early indications show that this storm's impact is comparable to the December 2008 ice storm.
The utility is reminding people not to go anywhere near downed wires and report them immediately by calling 911 or WMECo at 1-800-286-2000. Don't operate generators indoors and make sure they are installed by a licensed electrician.