STAMFORD, Vt. — The Stamford Volunteer Fire Company responded to a structure fire on Friday morning at 2:19 at 186 Collins Road.
The couple renting the home was alerted to the fire by their daughter, who smelled smoke before working smoke detectors in the home sounded. The family evacuated the home and called 911.
When the fire company arrived at 2:28 a.m., firefighters found the wall behind the fireplace was on fire. The fire was quickly extinguished and parts of the wall and ceiling were removed to check for fire extension.
"The cause of the fire is still under investigation, however, it is believed to have been caused by a faulty chimney liner," said Fire Chief Paul Ethier.
Twenty firefighters from Stamford responded to the call as did firefighters from Readsboro and Clarksburg, Mass. The North Adams Ambulance Service was also on scene but there were no injuries. All units cleared the scene at 4:31 a.m.
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.