Firefighters were at a home on Main Road on Thursday night for reports of smoke in a floor.
STAMFORD, Vt. — Firefighters were at the scene of a reported structure fire on Main Road on Thursday evening.
The call came in around 8:40 of a possible fire in the floor of 1085 Main Road, near a woodstove. The floor was reportedly smoking.
With temperatures hovering around 10 degrees, firefighters stationed around the house while some entered with equipment. Smoke could be seen through the open front door, where firefighters appeared to be cutting through the floor.
Update: Fire Chief Paul Ethier emailed us the particulars Friday morning.
The call came in as a structure fire.
"The couple that lived at the home came home and found their house filled with smoke," said Ethier. "When we arrived on scene, we found fire burning through the floor structure below the woodstove in the living room. We knocked that down pretty quickly with one handline."
Ethier said the fire was contained to the area of origin but the home did sustain some minor structural damage. In addition, some electrical wires in the area were also damaged and will have to be replaced.
Firefighters removed two pets from the home; no one was injured.
"Our firefighters did a great job and were able to keep damage to a minimum," said the fire chief. "We initally called for mutual aid from Readsboro and Clarksburg, however, once we were able to get on scene and knock down the fire, firefighters from Readsboro were canceled."
Clarksburg firefighters stayed on the scene with their airtruck and refilled the SCBA bottles. The North Adams Ambulance Service was also on scene.
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.