Mount Greylock High Searched After Threat Rumor
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — Police and school officials searched Mount Greylock Regional High School on Thursday night after a rumored threat.
In two messages to the Mount Greylock community, Principal Mary A. MacDonald said the search for unidentified "contraband" on the school grounds came after a consultation with Department of Children and Families "that an at-risk student might pose a threat."
Police Chief Kyle Johnson, reached Friday night, said an officer assisted school officials in the search along with a state police K-9 unit. Johnson said nothing was found and no one was charged "as the rumor was unfounded."
He said the search had nothing to do with the pursuit of a suspected drug dealer that also occurred on Thursday night.
MacDonald's message late Friday afternoon provided few details, such as when the search occurred. The search did include the fact that the school's crisis management team was assembled.
"We are not at liberty to provide further details, however, we remain vigilant and will communicate with you as the need arises," the principal wrote in Friday's message.
In a message Sunday night, MacDonald clarified that the search had been Thursday night and that there were no students in the building.
"If there was any validity to the allegation, students would not have been allowed to re-enter on Friday, September 6th," she wrote.
The district had done "extensive groundwork" over the summer refining emergency planning, she said, incluidng an all-school evacuation drill with the Fire Department there to observe on Thursday.
"As part of our crisis management planning efforts, we will be sharing aspects of our plan with parents and guardians in the next few weeks."
|Write a comment - 0 Comments|
State K-9 Unit Aids in Capture of Suspected Drug Dealer
|Good dog: K-9 Hieko with the gun, heroin and U.S. currency found in the subject's possession.|
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — A state police K-9 unit aided in the capture Thursday night of a suspected drug dealer who fled into the woods after crashing his vehicle.
The suspect, who was not named in the press statement, was reportedly fleeing Berkshire County narcotics detectives. The police were trying to stop the subject's vehicle at about 10 p.m. for illegal narcotics violations when the individual fled on foot.
Sgt. Gene Baker and K-9 Hieko assisted with a search, with Hieko tracking the suspect by using the car's floor mat as a scent article.
Hieko tracked for approximately one mile through back yards, fields and woods, finally locating the suspect hiding behind a tree. Troopers from the Cheshire barracks and narcotics detectives took the person into custody.
Troopers located 280 bags of heroin along the path of the subject's escape route. They also located a loaded 9 mm Glock handgun in the vehicle.
|Write a comment - 8 Comments|
Somerville Teen Can Post Bail In Otis Rape Case
Updated Friday, September 6, 2013.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — One of three Somerville students accused of raping a teen with a broom in Otis has the right to post bail.
Central Berkshire District Court Judge Frederic Rutberg denied a petition on Friday calling for Galileo Mondol, 17,to be held without bail. Mondol is now being held on $100,000 cash or $1 million surety bail. If he posts bail, he is ordered not to have any contact either direct or indirect with any of the victims or witnesses, he be not able to attend Somerville High School and must abide by an 11 p.m. curfew.
Mondol has previously pleaded not guilty to three counts of assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, three counts of intimation of a witness, two counts of assault with intent to rape a child under 16 and single counts of aggravated rape of a child under 16 and indecent assault and battery on a person who has attained 14 years of age.
He is scheduled for a pre-trial conference in Southern Berkshire District Court in Great Barrington on Oct. 3
Mondol is accused of entering the cabin of freshman students at Camp Lenox in Otis and assaulting three male victims.
Updated Tuesday, September 3, 2013.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. - A Somerville High School student pled not guilty in Central Berkshire District Court Tuesday on allegations that he and two others raped younger students at Camp Lenox in Otis.
Galileo Mondol, 17, had not guilty pleas entered on his behalf on three counts of intimidation of a witness, three counts of assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault with intent to rape a child under the age of 16 and single counts of aggravated rape of a child under the age of 16 and indecent assault and battery on a child who has attained 14 years of age.
Mondol was attending the camp as part of a school program for team-building activities for the fall sports teams. On Sunday August, 25, Mondol is accused of going into a cabin occupied by freshman students and sexually assaulting three youths. Mondol is one of three students facing charges; the other two are juveniles and their names have not been released.
Judge Philip Beattie ordered that he be held at the Berkshire County House of Correction on $100,000 cash or $1 million surety bail. Mondol is expected back in court on Friday for a dangerousness hearing.
According to the Boston Globe, prosecutors say the three varsity soccer players went into the cabin and raped one freshman with a broom. Two other students were able to fight off the attacks but were still sexually assaulted. However, Mondol's attorney, William Korman says the students tried to end the assaults.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Three Somerville high school juniors have been arrested by state police in connection with a sexual assault in Otis over the weekend.
Galileo Mondol, 17, and two 16-year-old boys were arrested on Friday by state police assigned to the Berkshire district attorney's office.
District Attorney David F. Capeless said the assault occurred at Camp Lenox, which the city of Somerville had rented as a facility for team-building for its fall sports teams at Somerville High School. The teens are reportedly members of the varsity soccer team.
The defendants allegedly entered a cabin occupied by freshman on Sunday, Aug. 25, and assaulted three victims.
Mondol is being charged with single counts of aggravated rape of a child under 16 and indecent assault and battery on a person who has attained 14 years of age; two counts of assault with intent to rape a child under 16 and three counts of each of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and intimidation of a witness.
He is being held on $100,000 cash or $1 million surety bail pending arraignment Tuesday in Central Berkshire District Court. Capeless said the juveniles, whose names are being withheld at this point because of their age, will be arraigned in Berkshire Juvenile Court on similar charges.
The investigation is being conducted by state police assigned to the Berkshire and Middlesex district attorneys office and the Somerville Police Department.
According to Boston.com, school officials were apprised of the incident on Tuesday and contacted police. School Superintendent Tony Pierantozzi told media at news conference in Somerville that 161 athletes and 19 adult supervisors were at the camp.
Pierantozzi, High School Headmaster John J. Oteri and Somerville Mayor Joseph Curtatone, in a joint statement, thanked the Berkshire DA's office and state police for "their speed and diligence" in the investigation.
"We will continue to provide any resources and information the district attorney's office requires as this investigation continues. Right now we are focused on continuing to provide the support services to students, parents and our community needed for Somerville to come together and heal."
Capeless, in a statement, said the Somerville school authorities and coaches "acted quickly and appropriately when they became aware of these allegations" and he thanked Somerville Police and others for their cooperation and assistance.
Camp Lenox is privately run residential summer camp for boys and girls that offers sports, outdoors activities and arts. It's been in operation for more than 90 years. It rents the facility before and after the 8-week summer program.
|Write a comment - 0 Comments|
North Adams Motor-Vehicle Accident Claims Life
|One person was killed and another injured in motor vehicle accident early Wednesday morning.|
Updated at 2:25 p.m., Aug. 28, 2013
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — One person was killed and another injured in a motor-vehicle accident early Wednesday morning.
Erica Rock, 31, the passenger in the vehicle, died later Wednesday morning at Berkshire Medical Center from injuries received in the accident.
Her father, Kenneth Rock, 58, of North Adams, the driver, was taken to North Adams Regional Hospital.
Police on Wednesday were not releasing any information on the identities of those involved other than to say a man and a woman were in the sport utility vehicle at the time of the accident.
The accident is still under investigation by North Adams and state police.
"The vehicle was headed eastbound when it hit the pole on the eastbound side and sheared it off; it then impacted with the cement wall and crossed the road and impacted with another pole," said Sgt. James Burdick.
Erica Rock was ejected from the vehicle; neither Rock was wearing a seat belt.
The accident was reported at 1:15 a.m. on Wednesday as a single car into a utility pole with lines down. Two ambulances were called to the scene: one victim was taken to North Adams Regional Hospital and the other to Berkshire Medical Center.
The accident occurred between Richview and Goodrich streets on Route 2.
The street was closed for hours for the state police team's reconstruction and for National Grid to repair the lines; the utility company was still completing repairs at about 9 a.m. Burdick did not believe anyone lost power during the event.
The vehicle, a late-model 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, was towed by Mohawk Towing.
|Write a comment - 22 Comments|
Superior Court Briefs: August 23
Cases heard before Judge Daniel Ford on Friday, August 23.
Michael Paris, 42, of Hinsdale pleaded guilty to single counts of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute - his second offense - possession of marijuana with intent to distribute - his second offense - possession of a Class E substance with intent to distribute - his second offense - conspiracy to violate drug laws to wit; possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, conspiracy to violate drug laws to wit; possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and possession of Suboxone.
He was sentenced to concurrent four to six years in state prison on cocaine charges. He was given a concurrent one year sentenced at the Berkshire County House of Correction on the other charges.
Paris was in possession of cocaine, Suboxone, marijuana and a Class E substance with intent to sell the drugs when he was arrested on April 15, 2010. He also conspired with others to sell cocaine and marijuana between December 22, 2009 and April 15, 2010.
|Write a comment - 0 Comments|