LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — Alice Elizabeth Ward, 90, died peacefully on April 11, 2014, at Williamstown Commons, surrounded by her loving family.
Born on April 14, 1923, in West Taghkanic, N.Y., the daughter of Louis and Cornelia Clemens Brown, a graduate of Hudson (N.Y.) High School, she lived on the family farm in West Taghkanic until her marriage to Frank Rutherford Ward.
The couple lived on naval bases until her husband's discharge from the Navy, when they then moved to Lanesborough.
Mrs. Ward was a volunteer with many organizations including the Visiting Nurse Association, American Red Cross, Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield, and the Lanesborough PTA.
Her husband predeceased her.
She leaves two daughters, Alice Margaret Gagnier of Williamstown and Marilynn Ward Atterbury and her husband, Gerald, of Monkton, Md.; three grandchildren, Grant William Gagnier Jr. and his wife, Kelley, of Plymouth, Jamison Rutherford Gagnier and his wife, Deborah, of Duxbury, and Morgan Wilcox Crosby and, her husband, Richard, of Rockland; great-grandchildren Trent William and Mason Grant Gagnier, both of Plymouth, and Chloe Ward and Emilie Urquhart Gagnier, both of Duxbury, and numerous nieces and nephews.
She was predeceased by her sisters Emma Leach, Florence Moskaluk, Mildred Young, Carolyn Brown, Esther Duntz, Helen Bard, Frances Tomaso, Johanna Hermance, and brothers Bernhard and William Brown.
FUNERAL NOTICE — Mrs. Ward wished to be cremated and, at her request, there will be no calling hours or services. In lieu of flowers, the family kindly requests that memorial donations be made to Elder Services, 66 Wendell Ave., Pittsfield, MA 01201 or HospiceCare in the Berkshires Inc. 877 South St., Suite 1W, Pittsfield, MA 01201 or in care of Flynn & Dagnoli-Montagna Home for Funerals, Central Chapels, 74 Marshall St., North Adams, MA 01247, which, is entrusted with arrangements.
The family would like to express their heartfelt appreciation for the compassionate and excellent care provided by the staff at Williamstown Commons as well as visits, flowers and cards from members of St. John's Episcopal Church in Williamstown.