In 1906 the Berkshire Railway System constructed a building on Seymour Street to host a steam boiler and large electrical generators to power the trolley cars going up and down North Street.
Six years later the facility was too small. The railroad built a new one on East Street and vacated the Seymour Street building. The Polish community, however, saw that all other groups had their own churches and started petitioning the Catholic Diocese of Springfield for one. In 1921, the diocese grante