North Adams Lists Preparations for Hurricane Sandy
Mayor Richard Alcombright has issued the following information:
• North Adams Public Schools: All schools will be closed Monday and Tuesday. Further school closure information will be forthcoming if necessary.
• All city offices will be open on Monday.
• A state of emergency will be in effect from noon on Mo nday until further notification to allow emergency crews to deal with any damage.
• Please know that National Grid is fully prepared to handle any power outages however should power go out, it WILL NOT be restored until after the storm event. Be prepared for significant power outages.
• All Public Safety and Services personnel are on call and will be available throughout the duration of the event.
• If you experience flooding, downed power lines, downed trees please call North Adams Fire Department at 413-664-4922 or 4933
• People should stay well away from any downed power lines.
• If you need to be evacuated from your home, if you have non-emergency medical concerns or need home oxygen, please call North Adams Ambulance Service at 413-664-4933
• If you have an EMERGENCY situation call 911
• The North Adams Emergency Shelter will be at St. Elizabeth's Parish Center and will be open to the public at noon on Monday.
• Tentatively, Halloween will be re-scheduled to Friday night from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.
• Do not park on City streets during this event.
"This storm should be fully upon us late Monday afternoon and we can expect high sustained winds throughout the night subsiding by Tuesday morning," said Mayor Richard Alcombright. "The result of those winds is the unknown and we should all be prepared for an extended cleanup as well as a possible extended power outage. Please report any damage to the numbers above, stay well away from any downed power lines and stay indoors throughout the duration of this storm. The city will provide updates as new information becomes available."
For the most current local information, please go to The Transcript online, iBerkshires, WNAW, WUPE, Time Warner Channel 22, North Adams Police Facebook and the mayor's Facebook. Please know that the radio reporting updates at 21 and 51 minutes after the hour. Additionally, school closure information will be delivered via the public schools alert system and emergency notifications will be provided by the city's Code Red Alert system.
Tags: hurricane, Sandy, storm,
|iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.|