Superintendent James Montepare said he hopes to have a good plan in place for after-school programming at Sullivan School by the end of the week.
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — Superintendent James Montepare told the School Committee this week that the after-school programs for the elementary schools "took a big hit."
Montepare explained a hoped-for grant to fund the programs at Sullivan School fell through.
Greylock School also lacks funding for an after-school program, but those pupils will instead go to Brayton Elementary School.
"And now on the table is going to be the Sullivan School, but I am confident that we will figure something out," Montepare said. "It's a very, very important program for families and kids."
Montepare said he hopes to have a good plan in place by the end of the week. A couple options include setting up its own program or duplicating the Brayton program and figuring out transportation costs.
Drury High School Principal Amy Meehan also informed the committee that the students almost doubled AP qualifying scores in math, English and science from the previous year. In addition, 55 students posted qualifying score for the AP history test.
Meehan said enrollment rocketed and appreciates the support from the School Committee and superintendent for the program.
"And these kids know they can make the grade and they can do the work and that test really is the bar of how well you might be able to succeed," Montepare said.
One of those students is joining the committee.
Drury senior Morgan Michaels, who took three AP courses last year and four AP courses this year, will represent the student body at the meetings vocally, but she doesn't have an official vote.
Drury High School Principal Amy Meehan said students almost doubled AP qualifying scores in math, English and science.
"We're very, very happy to have you here," Mayor Richard Alcombright said.
The committee also received updates from Dorrie Brooks of Margo Jones Architects and Mel Overmoyer of Strategic Building Solutions about the Conte Middle School renovation.
Brooks said the plans will be sent to cost estimators on Wednesday and then two weeks later to the Massachusetts School Building Authority for its review.
"They've already reviewed our drawings once and have no major questions or concerns," Brooks said. "So things are generally moving along very positively."
The school's construction phase is set to begin on March 1 with it being ready for classes by fall 2015.
The mayor also clarified to the School Committee that the discussed cuts
for the project are only for future decisions in case it goes over budget.