Amherst Defeats Ephs to Earn NESCAC TitleBy Andree Heller
Williams Sports Info
11:26AM / Monday, May 05, 2014
BRUNSWICK, Maine — The women's tennis team (19-2/7-2 NESCAC) fell just short of claiming a NESCAC Championship title, losing to rival Amherst 5-1. Amherst'S (19-3/9-0 NESCAC) win marked the eighth time in the last 10 years that they have won the conference title. The only two loses the Ephs have had this year have come at the hands of the Jeffs.
Williams initially jumped out to an early lead, with Kathleen Elkins and Maria Pylypiv winning their doubles match 8-2. Amherst responded though, claiming the rest of the matches on the day. A few matches had to be left unfinished, with Williams ahead in two of the three, however it would not be enough to catch up.
Amherst earns an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Championship, while Williams must wait for an at-large bid when selections are announced on Monday. That being said, the Ephs are virtually guaranteed a spot given that they have won a record six straight NCAA titles. They expect to be named a regional host for the opening rounds of play this coming week.
1. Jordan Brewer (AMH) def. Kara Shoemaker (WIL) 6-2, 7-6
2. Gabby Devlin (AMH) def. Kathleen Elkins (WIL) 6-1, 6-1
3. Jen Newman (AMH) vs. Linda Shin (WIL) 4-6, 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
4. Sue Ghosh (AMH) def. Maria Pylpiv (WIL) 6-3, 6-1
5. Zoe Pangalos (AMH) vs. Rebecca Curran (WIL) 6-7, 0-1, unfinished
6. Sarah Monteagudo (AMH) vs. Monica Pastor (WIL) 6-7, 1-2, unfinished
1. Gabby Devlin/Jordan Brewer (AMH) def. Kara Shoemaker/Rebecca Curran (WIL) 8-4
2. Kathleen Elkins/Maria Pylpiv (WIL) def. Jen Newman/Zoe Pangalos (AMH) 8-2
3. Sarah Monteagudo/Safi Aly (AMH) def. Linda Shin/Hannah Atkinson (WIL) 8-5