Miss Hallís School Graduates 46 Students01:10PM / Wednesday, June 04, 2014
Miss Hall's School in Pittsfield graduated 46 students on Sunday.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Forty-six students, including nine local girls, graduated on Sunday during Miss Hall’s School’s 116th commencement.
Ceremonies took place under a large tent on the front lawn of the School’s Holmes Road campus. Shabana Basij-Rasikh, the co-founder and President of The School of Leadership, Afghanistan (SOLA), the first girls’ boarding school in Afghanistan, delivered this year’s address.
Among the Class of 2014 graduates were the following local students: Sara Ann Brennan, of Hinsdale; Rebecca Luisa Fasciano, of Hillsdale, N.Y.; Meagan Deanne Fraser, of Lee; Courtney Madison Gamache, of Lenox; Abigail Rita Guterman, of East Chatham, N.Y.; Harnoor Kaur Mann, of Dalton; Kelsey Anne Rich, of Pittsfield; Caroline Isabel Saltzman, of Williamstown; and Rebekah Ann Spence, of Pittsfield.
Additionally, nine students were recognized for their induction earlier this year into the Cum Laude Society, the national organization honoring scholastic achievement at secondary schools. This year’s MHS inductees are seniors Zoe Weinberg Borghard, of Shushan, N.Y.; Tianyi (Celeste) Ruan, of Shenzhen, China; Caroline Isabel Saltzman, of Williamstown; and Yitong (Sheryl) Shang, of Beijing, China; and juniors Julia Bianchi, of Cheshire; Emma Bullock, of North Bennington, Vt.; Anna Durning, of Newburyport, Mass.; Elizaveta Kravchenko, of Hinsdale; and Yizhou (Zoe) Zhang, of Beijing, China. They joined seniors Hyun Jung (Stella) Kim, of Seoul, South Korea, and Harnoor Kaur Mann, of Dalton, who were inducted in 2013.
The following awards were also bestowed during the commencement:
• Margaret Witherspoon Award: Seniors Harnoor Kaur Mann of Dalton and Seema Amin of Kunduz, Afghanistan
• Christine Fuller Holland ’33 Service Prize: Senior Meagan Deanne Fraser of Lee
• Sylvia “Rusty” Shethar Everdell ’38 Prize: Seniors Haleigh Elizabeth Quigg of Montrose, Pennsylvania, and Caroline Isabel Saltzman of Williamstown
• Andrea Becker ’79 Prize: Junior Xiaoyu (Dora) Chen of Shenzhen, China
• Faculty Commendation Prize: Senior Marina Yoshimura of Tokyo, Japan
• Joseph F. Buerger Memorial School Spirit Cup: Senior Harnoor Kaur Mann of Dalton
• Meus Honor Stat Keys: Presented to seniors Seema Amin, Sophie Ellen Bellemare, Zoe Weinberg Borghard, Miller Young Fina, Meagan Deanne Fraser, Harnoor Kaur Mann, Kelsey Anne Rich, Tianyi (Celeste) Ruan, Caroline Isabel Saltzman, and Marina Yoshimura
• Elizabeth Gatchell Klein Studio Art Prize: Senior Ky Hong Le of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Ceramics Award: Senior Samantha Akariza Muhire of Kigali, Rwanda
• Angela Kalischer Theater Prize: Seniors Asata Levert Evans of Irvington, N.J., and Kelsey Anne Rich of Pittsfield
• Susanna McCreath Music Prize: Seniors Jeongmi Seo of Namyangju-si, South Korea and San-Yung Hung of Taipei, Taiwan
• Photography Award: Senior Qilin (Emily) Ren of Shanghai, China
• Doris E. Pitman English Prize: Seniors Zoe Weinberg Borghard of Shushan, N.Y., and Harnoor Kaur Mann of Dalton
• Virginia Breene Wickwire ’67 Reading Prize: Senior Rebecca Luisa Fasciano of Hillsdale, N.Y.
• Monique Jalbert French Prize: Senior Caroline Isabel Saltzman of Williamstown
• Mansfield E. Pickett Latin Prize: Junior Julia Bianchi of Cheshire
• Horizons Book Award: Senior Marina Yoshimura of Tokyo, Japan
• James K. Ervin Mathematics Prize: Senior Yitong (Sheryl) Shang of Beijing, China
• Iive Rouse Science Award: Senior Harnoor Kaur Mann of Dalton
• History Department Prize: Senior Asata Levert Evans of Irvington, N.J.
• Art Purchase Award for Studio Art: Sophomore Natalia Soborski of Dalton
• Art Purchase Award for Ceramics: Senior Evelyn Monroe of New York, N.Y.
• Art Purchase Award for Photography: Junior Anh (Abby) Truong of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Art Purchase Award, Student Choice: Senior Haleigh Quigg of Montrose, Penn.
• Rising Distinction Award — English: Junior Jiahong (Jaycee) Yao of Shenzhen, China
• Rising Distinction Award — Expressive Arts: Junior Elizaveta Kravchenko of Hinsdale
• Rising Distinction Award — History: Junior Yizhou (Zoe) Zhang of Beijing, China
• Rising Distinction Award — Language: Junior Hanila Novak of Richmond
• Rising Distinction Award — Mathematics: Junior Siyu (Cathy) Yu of Nantong, China
• Rising Distinction Award — Science: Junior Emma Bullock of North Bennington, Vt.
• Rising Distinction Award — Horizons: Juniors Jae Hee (Chloe) Kim of Busan, South Korea, and Hanila Novak of Richmond
• Rising Distinction Award — Athletics: Junior Ifunanya Okeke of Hillside, N.J.