Wintry Mess Coming Our Way
Update of closings and cancelations for Tuesday, Feb. 12:
- Pittsfield City Council meeting canceled
- Adams Community Bank offices close at 4
- MountainOne offices close at 3
- Northern Berkshire ABE session on the personal care attendant fundamentals class rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 20, at 1 p.m., Freel Library, MCLA.
- Russell Field Renovation Project in Adams has been rescheduled to Feb. 25 at 6 p.m.
- "Moby Dick: The Mini-Series" parts 1 & 2 for tonight and Thursday at the Berkshire Athenaeum are canceled. Both programs will be rescheduled.
- Boys & Girls Club of the Berkshires is closing at 4:30. All activities after 4:30 are canceled.
- Tonight's W.E.B. Du Bois Lecture at Bard College has been postponed.
It's almost Valentine's Day. Who doesn't LOVE a bit of winter muck and mess?
The National Weather Service has issued to advisories for the Berkshires: a wind advisory from 4 p.m. Tuesday to 7 a.m. Wednesday and a winter storm watch from Tuesday morning through Wednesday afternoon.
Schools in New York's Capital Region and in area hilltowns are already planning for early dismissal on Tuesday, including Pownal (Vt.) Elementary and Emma Miller in Savoy. Check our school closings page for updated postings.
A wind advisory means that sustained winds of 31 to 39 mph are expected, with gusts between 46 to 57 mph. Winds this strong are capable of downing small tree limbs and branches, possibly causing isolated power outages. As for the winter storm watch: Heavy snow is supposed to start during the day on Tuesday, likely around midday, changing to sleet and freezing rain overnight Tuesday. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 9 inches and ice accumulations of one to two-tenths of an inch possible.
How much snow we get, how much ice we get ... it all depends on when the changeover happens and if the sleet changes to rain (as the National Weather Service seems to think) or back to snow (as our friends at the Albany television stations seem to think).
We'll just have to wait and see, but brace yourself for a messy Tuesday evening commute home and afternoon and evening cancellations. Check back here at iBerkshires.com for all the latest.
❄️❄️FIRST WARNING❄️❄️: Here's the latest update to the snowfall forecast map for the storm that starts tomorrow. We'll have your hour-by-hour breakdown Live at Noon. https://t.co/NivjhELr9h pic.twitter.com/9upWGqYf4E— WNYT NewsChannel 13 (@WNYT) February 11, 2019
Support Local NewsWe show up at hurricanes, budget meetings, high school games, accidents, fires and community events. We show up at celebrations and tragedies and everything in between. We show up so our readers can learn about pivotal events that affect their communities and their lives.
How important is local news to you? You can support independent, unbiased journalism and help iBerkshires grow for as a little as the cost of a cup of coffee a week.
|iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.|