Redstone Scores Three Times as Lee Tips Mount Greylock SportsPrint Story | Email Story
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — The Lee High football team kept its perfect streak alive with a commanding 35-6 win over Mount Greylock Friday night at Williams College. 
Mother Nature threw this competition between Mount Greylock and Lee into a loop, forcing game location changes twice due to unplayable conditions on the Mounties’ John Allen Field. The game was moved to Lee on Friday and then later switched back to Williamstown but this time on the turf field of Williams College.
With all these changes it still didn’t phase the Wildcats (4-0) as they continued their stingy defensive pressure they have been relying on all year. Andrew Ruef got things going in this one with a nice long drive and score for 7 to give Lee the early lead.
“Today was a crazy day with the change in venues two or three times, but we talked about this, To be successful you have to be put out of your comfort zone sometimes and be willing to put all that stuff a side and do the job at hand. I’m real proud of our kids tonight.” Lee coach Keith Thomson said.
 Mount Greylock punched right back through the air. Michael Wellspeak connected on all four of his throws including a 26-yard pass to Colin Doyle to give the Mounties their only score of the game.
From this point on it was all Lee.
The visitors struck back right away with a 48-yard touchdown pass from Homer Wilson to Cole Redstone, giving them a 14-6 lead. Redstone scored two more touchdowns, racking up 81 receiving yards and three scores. A big key for Lee was sustaining long drives and capping them off with points. Ruef added another touchdown on the ground giving him two total touchdowns and 70 yards rushing. 
“The time of possession was big, we had a lot of stuff in the gameplay we didn’t get to because of the success running the ball,” Thomson said. “Football is still a game that is won in the trenches, and we ran it successful all night long and that credit goes to the guys up front.”
With things clicking the way they were on offensive it was no wonder Lee continued their stout defensive duties throughout the game. This was only the second touchdown in four games the Wildcats have let up, and three timely turnovers helped keep them going. In a 14-6 game with Mount Greylock driving, the Lee defense stepped up big and force one of those turnovers, resulting in a touchdown on the next offensive series. The Wildcats went into the break up, 20-6. 
The second half saw the Wildcats doing more of the same, scoring two more touchdowns and coming away with two more fumble recoveries.They did not allow any points in the second half and would cruise to a fourth win of the season. 
Lee will look to stay on track as they host Ludlow next Friday night. As for Mount Greylock they will look to regroup against Monument Mountain Friday at home.
Print Story | Email Story