Mounties Prevail in Defensive Battle

Print Story | Email Story

ADAMS,Mass — Friday night's football game between Mt. Greylock(4-0) and Hoosac Valley(3-1) looked like it would be a defensive battle as both teams came into the game undefeated, shutting out all of their opponents so far this season. 


The game lived up to the hype as both teams played stellar defense, with the Mounties using the one lone touchdown of the game to pull out a 6-0 victory over the Hurricanes at Renfrew Field.


"There is no weak spot in our defense and I think thats what makes us stand out in a game like this.  Defense wins championships." said junior Ethan Ryan.


The Mountie defense held Hoosac to just 27 total yards in the first half, forcing them to punt on all four of their possessions before the half. 


But Mt. Greylock was having just as tough of a time moving the ball as the Hurricanes.  Their first possession ended when they turned the ball over on downs, and a big sack for a four yard loss by senior defensive lineman Conner Tworig forced them to punt on their second possession.


After another three and out by Hoosac, the Mounties faced a fourth down and nine on the Hoosac 28.  Quarterback Kent Hanson dropped back and found tight end Tyler Picard for a nine yard catch and a first down.  Two plays later Hanson rumbled into the end zone from eight yards out.  The two point conversion attempt failed.


Coming out of the half Hoosac looked motivated to get back into the game, forcing Mt. Greylock to punt after just three plays, taking over on their own 36-yard line.


The Hurricanes proceeded to put together a 15 play drive, sucking up 10 minutes and 45 seconds of game clock, bringing them down to the Mountie 13-yard line.  Mt. Greylock rose to the challenge again and Hoosac turned the ball over on downs.


The Hurricanes caught a break in the fourth quarter after a 15-yard punt set them up with the ball at the Mountie 25.  After six plays, Hoosac was on the one yard line looking to even things up.  Facing fourth and goal, quarterback Tanner Bird took the snap and the ball slipped out of his hands and hit the turf.  He scooped it back up and plowed his way into the end zone.


When looking at the referees, instead of signaling a touchdown, they whistled off the play.  What happened was that under high school rules, a fumble can not be advanced on fourth down.  As soon as the ball hit the ground, the play was ruled dead.  


The Mounties took over the ball, but were still in dangerous territory with Hanson taking the snap from inside his own end zone.  He took it upon himself to get his team out of danger, running three straight quarterback sneaks to give the Mounties some breathing room.  "We saw there was a little hole right to the left side, I missed it the second one but knew I could get it the third one, so I told coach to let me have it again." said Hanson.


Mt. Greylock hosts Lee next Friday night.  Hoosac travels to Dalton to take on Wahconah.

Print Story | Email Story