Greylock Bummed about Second Straight Tie

Staff reportsPrint Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. -- For the second time in as many road games, the Mount Greylock boys' soccer team was forced to settle for a 1-1 tie against a North Division opponent on Friday.

On Tuesday, the Mounties were five minutes away from earning a big win over Lenox when Andrew Vickery netted the equalizer for the Millionaires. On Friday, Blair Dils' squad was nine minutes away from victory when Joe Botto headed home a cross from Chris McGovern to give Pittsfield a draw at home. 

After recording five straight wins at home to start the year, Greylock has now earned back-to-back ties in its first two road contests of the season. 

"This was a very disappointing result today," Dils said. "On Tuesday [against Lenox] a tie felt fair. Today it was the same result, but it felt like a loss. We carried the play for much of the game but couldn't get that back-breaking second goal."

The Mounties (5-0-2) outshot the Generals 7-1 in the first half and took a 1-0 lead in the 34th minute off a goal from Ian Brink. The Greylock freshman took a great through ball from junior Jonah Majumder, held off his defender and slotted the ball into the net.

"Ian did well to show a lot of composure," Dils said. "It was great to see the freshman react as well as he did to score the goal." 

Despite a 5-2 edge in shots in the second half, Pittsfield (3-2-2) was able to take advantage of one of its few oppotunities when Botto got free in the box on a counter attack and headed in McGovern's cross from the left side of the field. It was the first time since the 2007 season that the Mounties went two consecutive games without a win. 

Greylock goalkeeper Sean Houston didn't see much action in the game and only finished with one save. 

The Mounties' game against St. Joe's at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday is in the process of being rescheduled or cancelled. Greylock next plays at Wahconah at 4 p.m. on Thursday. 

Print Story | Email Story