PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Fire Chief Thomas Sammons is hoping to stop the wave of electrical fires that have forced people to flee their homes in recent weeks.
Standing next to a fire truck at the main station on Columbus Avenue on Wednesday morning, the chief shared some preventive measures to avoid catastrophe.
"We had five fires in nine days. They were fires where we actually had to pull hose lines. We go to a lot of small electrical instances all of the time where we get in and shut the circuit breakers off. For us, they are insignificant," he said. "But these ... four of them were electrical in nature so that was significant for us to reach out to the community."
The chief said no one was hurt in these series of fires that resulted in a total loss of a garage, and the displacement of four families (three from a four-family home and one from a single family home).
Sammons did not go into the specifics of the fires but indicated that some of them were caused by the misuse of power strips and extension cords.
Never overload a power strip and make sure it is rated for what you are using, he said. Never plug an extension cord into a power strip or cover it with carpet.
As a rule, he said, anything that heats, cools, or cooks should be plugged directly into the wall.
"They use a lot of juice," Sammons said.
Extension cords should never be used as permanent wiring because they are designed for temporary wiring. They should never be stapled to a floor or wall.
"They are temporary and you have to have the right size for the device," he said. "The wiring in your house was designed by engineers so it is going to work when you plug it in."
Sammons said much of Pittsfield's housing stock is older and does not have a lot of outlets. Contemporary code calls for an outlet every 12 feet and at least one on every wall. Because of the dearth of outlets in older structures, people sometimes get creative with power strips and extension cords.
"These days the codes are different and there has to be outlets every so many feet," he said. "That wasn't the case back then when a lot of these houses were built. There may be two outlets in a room. The way we are with electronics these days, people want 10 things plugged in in one room."
When it comes to space heaters, Sammons said make sure there is 3 to 4 feet clearance around the unit and that it is on level ground. Never leave a space heater unattended.
He said for any device: When in doubt unplug it.
Sammons said if a circuit breaker continually pops, whatever is plugged into that outlet is overloading it. This increases the odds of it failing.
He said never use a cooking stove to heat a room and make sure all fire and detectors have fresh batteries. He said in the case of some of the aforementioned fires the detectors had dead batteries.
"That is a critical message," the chief said. "You have your kids and you are asleep in your apartment or house — this critical stuff."
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
MEMA Grant Puts Emergency Medical Kits in Pittsfield Schools
By Jack GuerinoiBerkshires Staff
Police Chief Michael Wynn, left, Fire Chief Thomas Sammons and Eric Lamoureaux, community coordinator for the Pittsfield Public Schools, at Monday's announcement.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — All city public schools will receive backpack trauma kits equipped to handle a multitude of emergency situations.
Fire Chief Thomas Sammons alongside Police Chief Michael Wynn and Eric Lamoureaux of the Pittsfield Public Schools announced Monday the delivery of 15 trauma kits that were secured through a Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency grant.
"This is a whole approach the city is taking in responding to an active shooter," Sammons said at Fire Department headquarters on Monday morning. "The Police and Fire Department have worked together on active shooter scenarios and these kits have a lot of the same items that we carry and deploy."
Sammons said the grant was submitted in the fall and was a joint effort between the Fire, Police, and School departments. The grant was $9,735 in total; each kit cost around $650.
State Rep. Lindsay Sabadosa, 1st Hampshire District, sees the potential for the Bay State to follow the Canadian province's groundbreaking example in 1962 of being the first to provide single-payer health care to its citizens.
click for more
Mayor Linda Tyer told the rest of the School Committee on Wednesday that she recently toured some of the schools and felt that the district needs to begin the master planning process sooner than later.
click for more