Tanglewood's Online Festival Continues
The Tanglewood 2020 Online Festival will enter its seventh week with a capacious selection of state-of-the-art digital audio and video streams. These performances were recorded at Tanglewood’s breathtaking spaces at the superbly designed Linde Center – a constituent part of the BSO's/Tanglewood’s new entity, the Tanglewood Learning Institute (TLI). Other concerts will include performances previously recorded and archived by the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood.
A unique, all-encompassing digital music festival, the diversity of programming replicates a choice selection of the previously announced 2020 live performances Tanglewood had hoped to present this summer, but which had to be cancelled because of the coronavirus.
Here is this week’s schedule of streamed events, from Wednesday, Aug. 12, through Tuesday, Aug. 16.
New content, recorded especially for the online festival:
• Aug. 12, 8 p.m.: Recitals from the World Stage featuring Boston Symphony Chamber Players, joined by pianist Vivian Choi, in works by Poulenc, Allison Loggins-Hull (played by BSO Principal Flute Elizabeth Rowe), Henze, Stravinsky, and Brahms, hosted by Karen Allen.
• Aug. 14, 8 p.m.: BSO Musicians in Concert with Alexander Velinzon, Danny Kim, Adam Esbensen, Toby Oft, Stephen Lange, James Markey, and Mike Roylance, hosted by Lauren Ambrose, performing music by Beethoven and Baroque and 20th-century works for brass ensemble.
• Aug. 15, 8 p.m.: Great Performers in Recital featuring pianist Conrad Tao performing pieces by Beethoven, Crawford Seeger, David Lang, Tania León, and Conrad Tao, hosted by Nicole Cabell.
New Tanglewood Learning Institute Content:
• Aug. 12,10:30 a.m: TLI OpenForum, “The Roaring Twenties,” presents a panel discussion and live Q&A with Nadine Hubbs, Christi Jay Wells, and Harvey Young.
• Aug. 12, 1 p.m.: TLI MasterPass featuring a violin class for Tanglewood Music Center (TCM) Fellows with former BSO Concertmaster Malcolm Lowe.
Featured retrospective content:
• Aug. 16, 10 a.m.: Tanglewood Music Center Chamber Concerts - an audio presentation of TMC Fellows performing chamber music by Brahms, Nathan Shields, Krysztof Penderecki, George Lewis, and Beethoven, hosted by Norman Fischer.
• Aug. 16 at 2:30 p.m.: BSO Encore Performances from August 2009 and August 2013 of Keith Lockhart conducting the Boston Pops in film music and a Benny Goodman centenary tribute, hosted by Jamie Bernstein.
For more information and for prices and access to all video or audio streaming concerts, lectures and special events, go online or call 888-266-1200.