No Injuries In North Adams Vehicle Fire
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — The Fire Department quickly snuffed out a vehicle fire on Ashland Street on Thursday morning.
The call came in around 9:30 am, and Lt. Matthew LaBonte said the driver was at Hometown Tire when her car began to smoke.
"It started to smoke on her so she drove over here," he said. "It was an engine compartment fire. That is where it started. It burned right through the firewall."
LaBonte said the driver drove the Chrysler Pacifica next door to Berkshire County Construction where she safely exited the vehicle.
"This was a good spot to have it," he said.
LaBonte said upon arrival the vehicle was on fire, but firefighters were able to quickly put it out.
"It was burning through. The window was already blown out," he said. "But once you put the hose in the front of the vehicle it extinguishes pretty quick."
LaBonte said not only does a vehicle fire pose an immediate danger to the driver, but the fumes released are not safe to breathe in.
"It is not good to breathe in; vehicle fires are bad," he said.
The vehicle was heavily damaged, but the driver sustained no injuries. The fire engines left the scene right before 10 am.