image description
Gov. Charlie Baker has issued new orders that include early business closures, a stay-at-home advisory and tighter masking restrictions.

Governor Issues New Restrictions to Limit Coronavirus Spread

By Tammy DanielsiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
BOSTON — The governor brought down the hammer Monday — stronger masking order, reducing gathering limits, early closures — in an attempt to reduce the rising number of novel coronavirus cases in the state. 
 
"The simple truth is this, too many of us have become complacent in our daily lives. I know it's hard for people to hear me say this time and time again, but it's true," Gov. Charlie Baker said at Monday's press conference. "If we do nothing and stay on the track we're on now, we'll create capacity problems for our health-care system by the end of the calendar year."
 
Last several weeks have seen a spike in new cases — close to a 1,000 a day compared to 200-300 over the late summer — and a seven-day positive rate average that's climbed from 0.8 percent to 1.8-1.9 percent. Daily case counts are up by 300 percent and inpatient hospital counts by 145 percent.
 
"The data points to a clear need to do something about these trends. Now, what we should not do to deal with these trends is shut down our economy, or close our schools to deal with this," the governor said. "Schools are not spreaders here, or anywhere else. It's been proven now over and over and over again by real life experience and longitudinal studies. In Massachusetts, the vast majority of employers and employees and customers have done a great job, playing by the rules and limiting transmission."
 
The governor pointed to large gatherings — such as Halloween parties held over the weekend where "people piled all over and on top of each other" — and failure to comply with masking and social distancing protocols. 
 
"The recent data and surveillance are suggesting that trends for new cases and hospitalizations are going in the wrong direction," said Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito. "We must stop that from happening by acting now."
 
Polito said, as co-chair of the Reopening Committee, how hard the business community had worked to safely reopen and the sacrifices it has made. Restaurants, she said, have done a good job of being creative and innovative in serving customers and it shows in the public health data: restaurants are not linked to COVID outbreaks. 
 
A summary of the new orders going into effect on Friday, Nov. 6.
 
1) A stay-at-home advisory from 10 p.m. at night to 5 a.m. in the morning with exceptions for work, critical errands and taking a walk
2) Restaurant, indoor and outdoor activities, cultural and recreational facilities close at 9:30 p.m., although restaurants can continue to provide takeout food past that time. No alcohol or recreational pot sales after 9:30 p.m.
3) Wearing masks in public for anyone age 5 and older; medical exclusions will require proof. 
4) Gatherings are limited to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors. 
 
Full listings for each order can be found by following the links within the lists. 
 
There will be civil penalties for violating these regulations but they will be up to local enforcement. 
 
Officials say that the focus should be on staying home with those whom you share a home. Family gatherings that include people outside your regular "pod" can spread the disease. Last week's weekly public health update reported that the largest clusters of transmission was in households. 
 
Baker repeated some of what he had said last week about Thanksgiving, noting that sitting around a table or on a couch watching football on television, or attending a baby shower, are vectors for transmission because people let their guard down.
 
"It's important that we embrace these changes. We do need to adjust how we live and accept the responsibility that we all have every single day to fight COVID. And if we do it, we can it will stop the spread," the governor said. "How do I know that I know that? Because we've done it before. And we can do it again because we know what works, we've learned a lot since the beginning of this pandemic 10 months ago."

 


Tags: COVID-19,   


More Coronavirus Updates

Keep up to date on the latest COVID-19 news:


4 Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to info@iberkshires.com.

Northern Berkshire Adult Education Program Enrollment Open

NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — The Northern Berkshire Adult Education Program is currently enrolling students for the spring semester. 
 
All classes and services are currently being conducted remotely. When possible, in person instruction will be offered.
 
The Northern Berkshire Adult Education Program offers classes to prepare for the Massachusetts High School Equivalency Credential. In addition to classes to prepare for the HISET or GED tests, they offer classes to help improve academic skills to enter postsecondary education, training programs, employment readiness and basic academic skills. 
 
The Northern Berkshire Adult Education Program will offer a course in Digital Literacy starting in February, for those individuals needing to learn digital literacy for the first time or to improve your current knowledge base. North Star Digital Literacy Curriculum will be utilized. Students who participate in this program will be eligible to take a credentialing exam to demonstrate competency in digital literacy.
 
All the programs of the Northern Berkshire Adult Education Program are free of charge funded by a grant from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education/Office of Adult and Community Learning Services.
 
For More information, please refer to our website at www.mcla.edu/abe to schedule an appointment to speak with someone about more information. 
View Full Story

More North Adams Stories