image description
Firefighters quickly doused a kitchen fire on Walker Street on Monday morning.

North Adams Fire Quickly Extinguishes Walker Street Blaze

By Jack GuerinoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — The Fire Department quickly extinguished a kitchen fire on Walker Street on Monday morning and contained much of the damage to two rooms in the home. 
 
"It was a quick response, quick knockdown, and we are going to be out of here soon," Fire Chief Stephen Meranti said. "Unfortunately, the occupants are going to have to deal with the damage."
 
The call came in just before 9 a.m., and Meranti said police were first to arrive at 100 Walker St. and confirmed it was a structure fire. Lt. Brent Lefebvre was on scene soon after with Engine 1.
 
"We had smoke showing from the eaves all of the way around the building," Meranti said. "They had heavy smoke conditions in the building."
 
Meranti said he initially thought firefighters would have to vent the roof, but the fire was mostly contained o the kitchen so this was not necessary. There were no injuries.
 
"The occupants were out, and the firefighters rescued two dogs," he said.
 
Meranti said the fire seemed to have started in the kitchen around the stove, and he was waiting to talk to the occupants to get a better sense of the cause.
 
The kitchen and living room took the brunt of the damage. The rest of the home sustained smoke damage.
 
Meranti said because it was a confirmed structure fire all off-duty personnel were called. The oncoming shift was also called but was called off en route once the fire was contained.
 
Meranti said firefighters had access to a working hydrant, but the Clarksburg Fire Department tanker truck was called just in case.
 
Northern Berkshire EMS was also on scene.
 
Emergency vehicles left the scene around 10 a.m. with the fire largely extinguished before 9:30.
 
"That is the key. Early notification, a quick response, and a rapid interior attack," Meranti said. "They got on scene, stretched the line to the fire, and they did a good job."
 

Tags: structure fire,   

7 Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to info@iberkshires.com.

Ocean State Job Lot Donates Flags to Fly in North Adams

Staff Reports
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — With a little help from Ocean State Job Lot, resident Alan Horbal secured 200 American flags to hang from utility poles throughout the city.
 
Every year, Horbal buys hundreds of flags in preparation for Memorial Day. But with Memorial Day being over a month away, stores were not fully stocked.
 
Enter David Sarlitto, executive director of the Ocean State Job Lot Charitable Foundation.
 
View Full Story

More North Adams Stories