Blowtorch Ignites Exterior of Pittsfield Home
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The outside of a Second Street home was damaged on Monday after it was accidentally ignited with a blowtorch.
Firefighters responded to a reported structure fire at 125 Second St. at about 5:30 p.m. and found smoke and a blaze coming from the front of the single-family home.
With quick work, the first responders were able to keep the fire from penetrating the building.
Three engines and one ladder responded to the scene, with Engine 1 extinguishing the fire on the exterior, Engine 2 securing the water supply and checking to see if the fire had spread, and Engine 3 checking the interior of the home for fire.
One of the department's trucks assisted in containing the flame.
The cause was ruled accidental, as a property caretaker was removing weeds with a blowtorch and ignited the side of the building after coming too close. The siding was set on fire and it extended into the roof soffit area, growing inside of the siding and the wall boards from the ground to the roof.
No firefighter or civilian injuries were reported.
Damage can be seen to the structure in the front left corner and is contained there. Minimal water damage was reported.
The home was unoccupied and had a real estate agent's for sale sign in the front yard. A listing for the home could not be found online.
Built in 1880, it is a 2 1/2-story, wood frame single-family home.
Tags: structure fire,