Chimney Fire Displaces Five Clarksburg Residents
The fire started n the chimney and expanded into roof.
Firefighters responded to the home owned by Britni Maxwell at 540 River Rd. for a report of a chimney fire at about 12:30 a.m.
The 911 call was placed by Maxwell's cousin after the two women and three children escaped the home. There were no injuries.
The cell phone call had to be initially redirected and by the time they arrived, the blaze had expanded into a structure fire in the roof.
However, firefighters were able to get the flames under control within 15 minutes, according to Fire Chief Carlyle "Chip" Chesbro. Firefighters remained on scene until about 4 a.m.
"The fire was burning alongside the chimney at the roof line," Chesbro said Tuesday afternoon. "Once the trucks got there, we were able to knock it down quickly."
The Fire Department attacked the flames from the inside while mutual aid from Stamford, Vt., assisted from the outside and supplied water. The North Adams Fire Department was on standby.
"The chimney caused the fire. It was in disrepair. But luckily it was external," Chesbro said and added that it is important for residents to keep a close eye on the condition of their chimneys.
The roof to that section of the house was severely damaged and by Tuesday afternoon family friends had already put a tarp over it to protect it. A larger section of the home was undamaged.
The house is insured but it is unclear when the family will be able to move back in. They are currently staying with family.
Chesbro said that once the damaged section is boarded up and utilities are secured, they "should be able to live in it."