The Institute of Museum and Library Services has awarded $148,625 in the form of a "Museums for America" grant to the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Congressman John W. Olver announced on Wednesday.
"Museums for America" grants support hands-on educational programs, the digitization of museum collections and ventures using new technology. Museums use these funds to advance community partnerships, spur cultural tourism and support classroom teachers with educational curriculum and training.
"Norman Rockwell's artwork preserves special places, people and times in our nation's history," Olver said. "Not only will this grant allow the Norman Rockwell Museum to do some critical work to improve access to its collections, this funding will help continue the success of the Norman Rockwell Museum so that people can enjoy his artwork for generations to come."
Norman Rockwell Museum Director Laurie Norton Moffatt said, "The Norman Rockwell Museum is thrilled to receive support from the Institute of Museum and Library Services to make our Norman Rockwell archives accessible. Through the generosity of IMLS, the Museum is able to continue to achieve the highest standards for essential care, preservation and accessibility for the largest and most significant collection of Norman Rockwell's art and archives."
The Norman Rockwell Museum will protect and disseminate the cultural heritage of the 20th century American artist Norman Rockwell by hiring two collections interns to inventory and catalog the museum's voluminous art and archival collections. The funds will also support research with the addition of a webmaster, Web access software and the design and architectural framework necessary to create a searchable database for worldwide audiences.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Suspect Arraigned in 'Horrific' Dragging Case
By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Complete write-thru 3 p.m., Feb. 18.
District Attorney TimothyShugrue says the community has been 'really upset' by this case.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A Hancock man has been charged in last week's gruesome dragging that killed 69-year-old William Colbert.
William Gross, 65, was arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on Wednesday for negligent motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene. He was arrested Monday after police investigators narrowed down the type of car seen on video at the accident scene.
Police say Colbert had fallen in the road at the Francis Avenue and Linden Street intersection on Feb. 10 before he was struck and dragged nearly four miles. His body was found on West Housatonic Street.
Gross is being held on $250,000 cash bail in the Berkshire County House of Corrections. District Attorney Timothy Shugrue said the case will go to a grand jury and foresees additional charges being placed.
"I think this community was really upset by this case," Shugrue said while being interviewed by the press after the morning arraignment.
"It's a horrific case, and the fact that someone was fleeing, and there was someone that was stuck there that could have been treated, and potentially in the initial stages, could have been potentially saved."
Colbert was coming from a house on Francis Avenue about 11:30 on Feb. 10 when fell in the road and had trouble getting up, according to Shugrue.
Shane Faucher scored 18 points. Sammy Bullett added 14, and Connor Hinkell and Brayden Durant added 13 and 11, respectively, as Drury won its 11th straight game, improved to 19-2 and captured its first Western Mass title since 2023. click for more
The Holyoke wrestling team Saturday took the final two championship bouts to pull away for the title by a 12-point margin over Mount Greylock at the Western Massachusetts Division 3 Championships. click for more
The Wildcats marched 84 yards in a drive that consumed 11 minutes, 17 seconds of the third quarter for a critical touchdown in a 48-36 win over Boston’s Cathedral High in the quarter-finals of the Division 8 Tournament. click for more
Evelyn Julieano and Leanne Maschino each put down seven kills, and the Lenox volleyball team came out strong in advancing past Whitinsville Christian in three sets in the Division 5 State Tournament quarter-finals on Friday.
click for more
Kofi Roberts and Everett Bayliss remained tied for the team lead with 14 goals apiece, and Lucas Burrow notched his second goal as Mount Greylock (11-6-1) won for the fourth time in five games and earned its third shutout victory in the Western Mass tournament. click for more