Blackmer Wins Seat On City Council

By Tammy DanielsPrint Story | Email Story
Chad Therrien votes at St. Anthony's Parish Center on Tuesday.
NORTH ADAMS - Lisa Blackmer came up a winner in her first run for political office, outpolling two incumbents to place eighth and grab a seat on the City Council.

"I was pleased with how well I did," said Blackmer on Tuesday night. "I'm really excited [about joining the council]."

Two years ago, Christopher Tremblay was the fiesty newcomer, beating out five other challengers to join the nine-seat City Council in his first run.

But Tremblay found himself on the outs as the numbers began to come in from the city's five wards Tuesday night. He polled 730 votes, knocking him to 10th place behind Blackmer's 795 and incumbent Clark Billings' 768.

"I didn't get enough votes," Tremblay said when asked why he lost. He added, "maybe I didn't bring my big spoon to stir the pot."

He won two years ago with 1,118 votes.

"I don't think I let my supporters down," a disappointed Tremblay said. He said he'd miss his fellow councilors and that they had been very complimentary of his work for the city. "It was a really great experience."

Richard Alcombright was again the top vote-getter, garnering 1,185 votes with Gailanne Cariddi not far behind with 1,147. The other five incumbents returned to their seats were Marie Harpin (1,039), Alan Marden (1,032), Michael Bloom (1,018), Robert R. Moulton Jr. (949) and Ronald A. Boucher (922).

The two other challengers, Eric Buddington and Howard D'Amico polled 499 and 422, respectively. It was a disappointing run for Buddington, who had won 831 votes in a larger field two years ago.

Mayor John Barrett III, running unopposed, was easily returned to office. He stopped by the city clerk's office, however, to make sure he hadn't been beaten by the "blanks."

He hadn't. Barrett won with 1,096 votes; the blank votes only came to 351. There were a number of write-ins for mayor, most with one vote each, although Cariddi and developer Michael Deep had five each and Alcombright, four.<L2>

Michael J. Hernandez and George A. Canales were re-elected to the McCann School Committee with 854 votes and 1,042 votes, respectively. There were 1,092 blanks.

All three incumbents were returned to the North Adams School Committee: Mary Lou Accetta (1,098), William Schrade Jr. (980) and Lawrence K. Taft (971).

Of the 8,570 registered voters, 1,497, or 18 percent, went to the polls. That was about half the number last year when 15 candidates were running for City Council. There were 2,950 blank votes.

City Clerk Mariyln Gomeau said the new voting machines worked perfectly and the election went very smoothly thanks to the poll workers.

"They were fabulous," she said. "The workers deserve all the credit because they did all the work."

Poll workers for Wards 2 and 5 at St. Anthony's Parish Center earlier in the day said voting had been slow but steady. Gomeau said some of the wards seemed to pick up a little later in the day.

A low turnout was expected because of a lack of a challenger for mayor and a very quiet City Council campaign.

Blackmer had begun campaigning in earnest only in the last couple weeks, partly because of illness in her family. She opened a campaign office on Main Street and spent hours standing out with signs and writing out election postcards.

She believed that had a lot to do with her victory. "I put myself out there, I worked hard."

"I'm really looking forward to working with the councilors," Blackmer said, adding that the mayor has a lot of projects coming forward. "I want to start by listening and learning ... and go from there."

But the first thing she's looking forward to is sleeping in today.

Tremblay said he still wants to serve the city and hasn't ruled out another run for office in the future.

"I'd like to serve on a committee or board," he said. "Maybe there'll be a spot for me."
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough Board OKs Budget, Warrant Article Changes

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff

LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — The Select Board  last week approved the fiscal 2027 draft budget and made slight changes in the warrant articles impending town vote.

The proposed spending plan has an increase of a little over 10 percent. Some of the main budget increases are the Mount Greylock Regional School District and McCann Technical School: the McCann assessment is up more than 30 percent based on factors including enrollment and the renovation project, and Mount Greylock's is up 11 percent.

Another notable increase was in the life and health insurance, showing an increase of about 26 percent.

"I'd like everybody to know that the Town Hall staff, everybody, the Police Department, Fire Department, the DPW, they really looked over their budgets and went down to bare bones. I want to give them credit for that, because I think the townspeople should know that we are not only as a Select Board, as a town administrator, we are all looking to keep our taxes within a reasonable amount," said Chair Deborah Maynard.

"And I want you all to realize that the town staff and the departments have really brought their budgets down to bare bones. And I'm making this because the school department, in my opinion, and this is my opinion only, has not done their due diligence in bringing their budget under control over a 10 percent increase. I think regardless of what the insurance went up, I still think that they could have cut their budget a little more."

Maynard was the only no vote in endorsing the budget. 

The free cash warrant articles for the annual town meeting were approved with a couple of changes since last meeting.

The board added the transfer of $1,200 from free cash to purchase software to support tracking and ongoing maintenance schedules of all town-owned vehicles.

Instead of transferring $200,000 from free cash for the replacement of a fire engine, voters instead will be asked to transfer $380,000 from the fire truck stabilization fund and authorize the treasurer to borrow up to $700,000 with approval from the Select Board.

An article asking to increase the Zoning Board of Appeals membership from three to five members was  withdrawn as board member Michael Murphy felt it was not needed anymore.

Other changes was withdrawal of free cash article of $3,200 for the Assessors WebPro online search software after public comment from Barbara Hassan addressed a miscommunication with the assessors property card format. Officials want to find another way to get the information that will not cost the town.

The annual town meeting is Tuesday, June 9, at 6 p.m. Lanesborough Elementary School. The annual town election will take place June 16 at Town Hall with polls open noon until 8 p.m.

In other business, solar developer Kirt Mayland updated the board about the solar array project at Old Orebed Road and the work with EDF Power Solutions, which was the highest bidder on the project in 2022 and has been working to bring a solar array on the capped landfill.

The group recently finished an interconnection study with Eversource and connected with ISO New England to make sure they did not have any effects on the transmission system. The price was affordable with Eversource and can move forward if allowed.

EDF's last option agreement was terminated in January, and since 2022 it has been paying $5,000 to extend services, looking to extend again with the town. 

View Full Story

More Stories