Commercial Street Congestion Causes Concerns

By Jen ThomasiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
Commercial Street in Adams.
ADAMS — Severe congestion along Commercial Street during the morning hours has the Selectmen and Police Chief Donald Poirot concerned about future traffic problems and resident safety.

In addition to the vehicles that typically travel the Route 8 corridor through the center of town, hundreds more cars contribute to the early morning traffic jams when parents drop off their children at the C.T. Plunkett Elementary School or the Berkshire Arts and Technology Charter Public School. Along that stretch of road — just beyond Commercial Street's intersection with Park, Myrtle and Center streets — cars trying to enter or exit the McDonald's parking lot also add to the chaos.
 
"All it takes is one or two vehicles to pull into McDonald's, one or two vehicles to come out of the charter school or out of the Plunkett School and you've got a traffic jam," said Poirot at Wednesday night's meeting of the Selectmen.

The issue came before the board because it had previously requested the most recent report about traffic trends in that area, said Town Administrator William Ketcham. Poirot's information, pulled from a 2004 report from the traffic commission, detailed problems with the setup, including narrow roads, a lack of places to put proper signage and general traffic backup.

With approximately 300 students enrolled at BArT and approximately 600 at Plunkett, the influx of cars on Commercial Street, especially those attempting to make left turns, swiftly backs up traffic. Much of the traffic is redirected along Liberty Street to relieve the tension but so many cars in such a short span inevitably causes problems, explained Poirot.

"There's 1,200 cars traveling through there in about an hour's time," Poirot said, who also called the placement of signs "impossible" because they would need to be erected on private property.

Selectmen Edward MacDonald suggested arranging for students to be dropped off at the crossing guard post on Center Street, which would ease congestion of the main drag. The children could then walk "the couple hundred feet" to school.

"It's an extremely congested intersection and there's no good alternative routes around it," said Ketcham.

Traffic Commission member Thomas Satko also noted that BArT has a stipulation on its permit and occupancy agreement that it monitor the parking situation and consider re-evaluation at a later date, if necessary.

The Selectmen voted unanimously to send the issue to the Traffic Commission for a recommendation.

Chairman Joseph R. Dean Jr. marveled at how nothing had been done for nearly four years on the issue.


"This report from 2004 is addressed to me. I was the chairman then, too. It's taken this long to get this settled," Dean said.

In other business, the board heard an update from Satko, also the director of public works, about the flooding at Reid Field. Saying the 36-inch culvert there works "most of the time," Satko told the board that there are already $1.5 million worth of drainage and flooding priority projects ahead of the Reid Field one.

"So far, it hasn't done any monetary damage. It's more of an inconvenience and a nuisance when it does overflow," Satko said.

He named projects on East Hoosac Street, Jordan Street and Depot Street, among others.

Agreeing to put the problem on the back burner for now, Dean said he didn't think the issue was truly a priority.

"When you see houses going down the stream, then you've got a problem," he said.

The board also:

  • Scheduled a public hearing about Lane Construction's installation of an above-ground fuel tank for April 16 at 7:10 p.m. at Town Hall.
  • Approved seasonal employees and the secretary to the Finance Committee.
  • Announced the closing of fiscal 2009 annual town warrant on April 16.
  • Rescinded a previous vote requesting a log of town vehicles' travel because Dean said a procedural change needed the approval of a full board. The issue will be placed on the agenda for the next meeting.
  • If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

    Letter: Progress Means Moving on Paper Mill Cleanup

    Letter to the Editor

    To the Editor:

    Our town is facing a clear choice: move a long-abandoned industrial site toward cleanup and productive use or allow it to remain a deteriorating symbol of inaction.

    The Community Development team has applied for a $4 million EPA grant to remediate the former Curtis Mill property, a site that has sat idle for more than two decades. The purpose of this funding is straightforward: address environmental concerns and prepare the property for safe commercial redevelopment that can contribute to our tax base and economic vitality.

    Yet opposition has emerged based on arguments that miss the point of what this project is designed to do. We are hearing that basement vats should be preserved, that demolition might create dust, and that the plan is somehow "unimaginative" because it prioritizes cleanup and feasibility over wishful reuse of a contaminated, aging structure.

    These objections ignore both the environmental realities of the site and the strict federal requirements tied to this grant funding. Given the condition of most of the site's existing buildings, our engineering firm determined it was not cost-effective to renovate. Without cleanup, no private interest will risk investment in this site now or in the future.

    This is not a blank check renovation project. It is an environmental remediation effort governed by safety standards, engineering assessments, and financial constraints. Adding speculative preservation ideas or delaying action risks derailing the very funding that makes cleanup possible in the first place. Without this grant, the likely outcome is not a charming restoration, it is continued vacancy, ongoing deterioration, and zero economic benefit.

    For more than 20 years, the property has remained unused. Now, when real funding is within reach to finally address the problem, we should be rallying behind a practical path forward not creating obstacles based on narrow or unrealistic preferences.

    I encourage residents to review the proposal materials and understand what is truly at stake. The Adams Board of Selectmen and Community Development staff have done the hard work to put our town in position for this opportunity. That effort deserves support.

    Progress sometimes requires letting go of what a building used to be so that the community can gain what it needs to become.

    View Full Story

    More Adams Stories