North Adams Plans 2012 Memorial Day Ceremony
North Adams will observe Memorial Day with a parade and ceremony. See more photos from last year's march here.
The parade will form and start from the American Legion, located at 91 American Legion Drive. The parade will begin promptly at 9:30 a.m. and head north on American Legion Drive, up Main Street and over Eagle Street to the Veterans Memorial where the ceremony will take place. In the event of rain, the ceremony will be moved to the American Legion.
Dennis St. Pierre will act as master of ceremonies and Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Glenn St. Pierre will give the keynote address.
The Gettysburg Address will be read by Chelsea Lomartire, daughter of Krista and Adam Lomartire, of Green Avenue, North Adams. Lomartire is an 8th-grade student at Drury High School and the recipient of the George Angeli Award.
All parade participants are requested to be at the American Legion by 9 a.m., as the parade starting time is 9:30. Coffee and doughnuts will be served at the American Legion beginning at 8:30.
The Memorial Day Parade lineup and program are as follows:
LINE OF MARCH
1. Police Cruiser
2. Color Guards: Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 996; Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 54; American Veterans (AMVETS) Post 100; American Legion Post 125
3. Parade Marshals: Al Domenichini, VFW; Thomas Lussier, American Legion; Michael Chalifoux, VVA; Louis Floriani, AMVETS
4. Lt. Cmdr. Glenn St. Pierre, keynote speaker; Mayor Richard Alcombright; James Army, Massachusetts American Legion; Chelsea Lomartire, Gettysburg Address; Joseph Cariddi, parade coordinator; Mark Sprague, Memorial Day Committee chairman; Linda Lemieux, VFW Auxiliary president; Gail Nelson, Legion Auxiliary 125 president.
5. Sons of the American Legion Squadron 125
6. Members of the VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans, AMVETS, Navy Armed Guard Association and any and all veterans who wish to participate. You do not have to belong to any veterans organization.
7. Members of VFW, American Legion and AMVETS Auxiliaries
8. Drury High School Band; Chris Caproni, director
9. Girl Scouts and Brownies, Donna Senecal
10. Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts, William Meranti
11. Trolley for transporting veterans, courtesy city of North Adams
12. North Adams Fire Department Ladder No. 2
13. North Adams Ambulance Service
Master of ceremonies: Dennis St. Pierre
Opening prayer: Louis Floriani, chaplain, American Legion Post 125
Pledge to the flag
Drury Band: "Star-Spangled Banner"
Selection: North Adams Girl Scout Troop 11097 singing "This is Still the Land of the Free" by Michael Souders
Mayor Richard Alcombright
Introduction of parade marshals and non-speaking dignitaries
Keynote Speaker: Lt. Cmdr. Glenn St. Pierre, Coast Guard
Selection: Drury Band
Gettysburg Address: Chelsea Lomartire, Dury High student and the recipient of the George Angeli Award.
Presentation of the George Angeli Award: Lt. David Sacco, North Adams Police Department
Closing Prayer: Floriani
Sounding of taps: Max Quinn and James Montgomery
Thanks are given to David Tarsa and the Sons of the American Legion Squadron 125 for passing out flags.
Tags: holiday, parade,