2 Pittsfield Companies Fined For Hiring Undocumented Workers
Jae's Spice was fined $3,000 and Sampco Inc. was fined $550 as the result of an audit from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations.
The audit comprised of reviews of the Form I-9s from employers suspected hiring employees who are not legally allowed to work in the United States. The forms are filled out for every individual an employer hires. A total of 17 state employers were fined for fiscal 2012 for a total of $349,619.
"These settlements serve as a reminder to employers that HSI will continue to hold them accountable for hiring and maintaining a legal and compliant workforce," said Bruce M. Foucart, special agent in charge of HSI Boston, in a statement released on Wednesday. "We encourage employers to take the employment verification process seriously, as we expand the number of audits we are conducting throughout Massachusetts each year. My agency will continue to focus its attention on employers that are knowingly employing illegal workers and will continue to target specific industries and businesses known or alleged to hire illegals."
Fines in Massachusetts:
- Alliance for Affordable Housing Inc. of Everett, $888.25;
- Amex Inc. of East Boston, $70,000;
- Bread & Company Inc. of Everett, $9,804;
- Cap Seafood Inc. of New Bedford, $9,804;
- Danco Retail Food Outlet Inc. of Worcester, $935;
- Fruitlands Restaurant, Inc., aka Sorrento's Pizza, of Harvard, $2,805;
- Jae's Spice of Pittsfield, $3,000;
- Leechen Restaurant Inc. of Lawrence, $9,441.63;
- Metropolitan Linen Services Corp. of Everett, $13,635.19;
- Northern Pelagic Group LLC (NORPEL) of New Bedford, $151,200;
- Ocean Crest Seafoods of Gloucester, $9,000;
- Panda House Inc. of Westfield, $4,675;
- Pier Fish Company Inc. of New Bedford, $2,200;
- Quality Workforce Inc. of Brockton, $26,881.25;
- Samar Company Inc. of Stoughton, $33,786.22;
- Sampco Inc. of Pittsfield, $550; and
- STAT Products Inc. of Ashland, $1,014.
Tags: federal fines, ICE, undocumented workers,