Stormstorm Drops Up to Foot; Cancellations, Delays
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The county could see up to a foot of snow fall Wednesday night into Thursday.
The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for the county from 7 p.m. Wednesday until 7 p.m. Thursday. The forecast calls for snow and sleet accumulation of six to 12 inches and one to two tenths of an inch of ice. Overnight,the storm could drop up to two inches of snow per hour.
The snow is expected to begin just after sunset and turn to sleet and freezing rain before daybreak. Snow showers are expected to continue throughout Thursday.
The National Weather Service expects travel to be hazardous and wind gusts up to 50 miles-per-hour in some of the high elevations.
By Thursday morning, between 4 inches and 12 inches had fallen on much of the Berkshires and Southern Vermont. Motorists are advised to drive carefully and not to park on the streets so plows can get through.
Police are reporting no weather-related incidents so far despite poor road conditions.
Shortly after noon, Adams Police Dispatcher Anthony Piscioneri said that since 8 a.m. he has field zero calls related to the weather and North Adams Dispatcher David Burdick said it has been "quieter than a sunny day." He too has fielded no weather-related calls.
With the storm falling during the Christmas week, schools are not in session, many residents are on vacation and very few public meetings are being held thus limiting the amount of traffic. However, road conditions continue to be hazardous.
As of Thursday afternoon, no power outages have been reported.
Any postponements or cancellations will be listed below as they come in.
Cancellations, Delays, Postponements:
• North Adams Public Library open from noon to 5; no interlibrary loan delivery.
• A meeting planned at Councilor Jennifer Breen's law office this evening on school safety measures has been postponed.
• The City of North Adams has declared a snow emergency until 8 p.m.
• The City of Pittsfield has declared a snow emergency through Friday morning at 7.
• Adams Free Library closing at 5 p.m.
• Lanesborough Public Library is closed.
• Open mic with Potsy at Pancho's on North Street in Pittsfield is canceled.
Send cancellations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tags: cancellations, snow emergencies,