CLAREMONT, Calif. — Dan Greenberg's third-ranked Williams College men's tennis team opened their west coast tour with a 6-3 win over No. 22 Pomona-Pitzer.
The Ephs opened the match by taking the doubles 2-1 and then claimed four of six singles matches for their third win of the year against no losses.
The Ephs won at number two and number three doubles. At two doubles junior Matt Micheli and senior Felix Sun downed Chris Weichert and Kevin Wei, 8-1. Pomona evened the match at one-all when they captured first doubles.
The senior-freshman pairing of Bryan Chow and Brian Astrachan gave the Ephs the lead heading into singles play when they prevailed 8-4 at three doubles.
Pomona knotted the match at two all when Conor Hudson defeated senior Zach Weiss at #3 singles in straight sets.
The Ephs responded impressively, however, by claiming the next three singles matches, all in straight sets with Chow winning at the five-spot, freshman Howard Weiss winning at six and Matt Micheli posting a win at four.
The final Eph singles victory came from Sun from the second spot. Sun won in three sets in the last match, providing the final 6-3 margin.
On Wednesday the Ephs will play two matches. At 8 a.m. pacific time they will play Hardin-Simmons at Pomona-Pitzer and then at 2 p.m., again pacific, they will play California Lutheran.
Men's Tennis Summary (Pauley Tennis Complex - Claremont, Calif.)
1) Max Sabel/Frankie Allinson (PP) def Alexander Schidlovsky-Richard Meyer, 8-4
2) Matt Micheli-Felix Sun (WC) def Chris Wiechert/Kevin Wei, 8-1
3) Bryan Chow-Brian Astrachan (WC) def Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton, 8-4
1) Chris Wiechert (PP) def. Richard Meyer, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
2) Felix Sun (WC) def Max Sabel, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3) Connor Hudson (PP) def Zach Weiss, 6-1, 6-2
4) Matt Micheli (WC) def Frankie Allinson, 6-4, 7-5
5) Bryan Chow (WC) def Thomas Low, 6-2, 6-0
6) Howard Weiss (WC) def Kevin Wei, 6-3, 6-2