Letter: Alcombright Endorses Bernard for Mayor
To the Editor:
For the first time in over three decades North Adams voters will not have an incumbent mayor seeking re-election and voters have an important choice to make for their new mayor.
As your mayor for the past eight years, I quickly learned the position is one that takes command of your life. Some folks think the job of mayor is about plowing roads, cutting grass, patching potholes and deterring crime. And while those things are important, it is much more than that.
The tasks are complex and no two days are the same. Challenges do not always fit into neat boxes as one moment you are managing the city finances through a recession, then a natural disaster might strike, and very often you find yourself taking on tasks that go well beyond the job description. Given that and as a voter trying to decide which way to vote next Tuesday, you might want to ask yourself the following questions:
- Who is best positioned to move the city forward under a shared vision?
- Who is most likely to act decisively and boldly when necessary?
- Who has both the academic and professional skills to do the job?
- Who has proven passion for the work of our social and human service agencies?
- Who will be a champion for addicts and their families?
- Who can more readily grasp the complexities of municipal finance?
- Who is more attuned to the educational needs of our children?
- Who is the candidate that will work with leaders of anchor institutions?
- Who will be the best advocate when working with state and federal partners?
- Who will have the ability to work with new investors on complex investment
- Who will make certain this city and this region does not stand still?
- Who will make himself available to you?
- And finally ask yourself….who is most ready to LEAD?
The City of North Adams is moving forward and in my opinion, there is only one answer to the questions above and only one candidate who will LEAD. Please join me in voting for Tom Bernard on Nov. 7 .
North Adams Mayor
North Adams, Mass.
Tags: election 2017, endorsement, mayor,