BRPC Seeks Input On Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy

Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Berkshire Regional Planning Commission (BRPC) is seeking public comment on a draft Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) for Berkshire County, which will be in effect from 2023 through 2027.
 
The CEDS is a coordinated regional planning process that documents current economic conditions, identifies priority economic development projects, and sets goals and strategies for the upcoming 5-year period. Two previous CEDS have been published for Berkshire County, in 2011 and 2017. The 2023 edition will include an expanded Resiliency Planning chapter, as well as an overview of COVID-19 impacts on unemployment rates and labor force statistics.
 
The Berkshire County CEDS is developed by BRPC staff in partnership with a regional CEDS committee, made up of representatives from local government, priority industries, non-profits, and regional agencies involved with economic development. After the public comment period completes on November 12th, 2022, and the CEDS document is endorsed by the BRPC Commission, it will be submitted to the US Economic Development Administration for approval. Implementation occurs over the course of the next five years, with annual progress reports filed each year.
 
The draft document can be found on BRPC’s website at berkshireplanning.org/initiatives/berkshire-comprehensive-economic-development-strategy-ceds/ or at bit.ly/BerkshireCEDS, along with more information about the initiative and copies of former CEDS documents and annual reports.
 
The PDF document includes links to online forms for members of the public to suggest additions to the Action Plan and Resiliency Recommendations included in the draft. General comments can be emailed to BRPC Economic Development Program Manager, Laura Brennan, at lbrennan@berkshireplanning.org, with the subject line "CEDS draft."

Tags: BRPC,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield Council OKs Privacy Measure, Sees Bridge Update

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

The state plans to remove some of crumbling concrete on the Dalton Avenue bridge and wrap its repairs into a project with the rail trail. 

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The City Council is taking steps to protect its own privacy, as well as public comment speakers' privacy. 

On Tuesday, councilors voted to remove their home addresses from city documents and websites and replace them with 70 Allen St., or City Hall, to improve safety. It was brought forward by Ward 4 Councilor James Conant, Ward 7 Councilor Katherine Moody, Ward 1 Councilor Kenneth Warren, and Ward 2 Councilor Cameron Cunningham. 

"This is an easy proposal to support," Ward 6 Councilor Dina Lampiasi said. 

While this doesn't completely block their addresses from public view, as they are listed elsewhere as residents, it makes them a little harder to access. 

Moody pointed out that a Virginia city councilor was set on fire last year by a member of the public. NBC News reported that the attack stemmed from a personal matter. 

"I don't think anybody worries about me being able to defend myself, but I do have children, and I worry for them," Moody explained. 

Warren pointed out that they have done the same for those who speak at public comment. When he was first elected into office years ago, people picketed at his home for his stance on a School Committee issue. 

"Back then, it wasn't that big a deal. Now we find ourselves in very divisive times," Warren said. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories