Pittsfield Saw Two Mini-COVID Surges This Fall

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The city has seen ups and downs with COVID-19 cases this fall and is currently on the lower end of case counts.

Health officials now say sewage testing is the truest indicator of the virus's impact on the community because it accounts for at-home tests.

"We did experience in the past two months a couple of mini surges throughout the city," Director of Public Health Andy Cambi said to the Board of Health on Wednesday.

"It's hard to gauge it from the active tests we have received because a lot of it, as I mentioned before, is done through at-home test kits."
 
On Tuesday, Biobot sewage testing showed 1.3 million copies per liter. The recent peak of sewage concentration occurred in mid-October when there were 2.7 million copies per liter and last week, the city saw a low of around 988,000 copies per liter.

The percent positivity rate is about 11, down from over 13 percent in mid-October, and there are around 31.5 average cases per 100,000. The city has around 68 estimated actively contagious cases and remains in the red incidence rate, having more than 10 average cases per 100,000 and a positivity rate over 5 percent.

COVID hospitalizations at Berkshire Medical Center have not exceeded 20.



"Our wastewater is completely different than what we saw in our case counts," Cambi said. "This is a true reflection of what we're seeing as far as the virus concentration in our population."

Reportedly the city is seeing a high usage of at-home test kits being utilized, with many visiting the Health Department to pick them up and the department dropping them off at locations. There is still a large supply.

Stop the Spread testing sites that provided free PCR tests to state residents regardless of insurance coverage were discontinued in April.

Cambi added that it does not compare to what the city saw at the beginning of the year, as cases reached an all-time high in January, but an increase has been expected for the fall season.

This year marked the return of Pittsfield's annual Halloween Parade after a two-year absence due to the virus. The parade attracted around 5,000 people to Tyler Street.


Tags: COVID-19,   


More Coronavirus Updates

Keep up to date on the latest COVID-19 news:


If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Former Miss Hall's Head Arraigned for Child Endangerment

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

Warning: this article discusses sexual assault. 

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A retired head of Miss Hall's School was charged with reckless child endangerment in relation to sexual abuse allegations against a former teacher

Jeannie Norris, head of the girls' boarding school from 1996 to 2012, was arraigned on Monday for one count of reckless endangerment of a child. Now living in North Carolina, she appeared virtually before Judge James Manitsas in Berkshire Superior Court and pled not guilty. 

Based on evidence collected during the investigation into allegations of abuse that occurred at the school, the Berkshire County District Attorney's Office alleges she was aware of inappropriate relationships between a teacher, Matthew Rutledge, and students attending the school. The evidence collected demonstrated that she received numerous reports of Rutledge's alleged inappropriate conduct, according to the indictment. 
 
Rutledge, 63, was arraigned on rape charges in April of this year. Several women came forward publicly to accuse him of grooming them as teenagers and raping them. 
 
Norris, represented by attorney Thomas Hoopes, had her physical presence waived for Monday's arraignment and for Nov. 18, when the case goes to pretrial. Reckless child endangerment is a misdemeanor that carries more than 100 days of incarceration. 

The DA's Office, represented by Assistant District Attorney Joseph Yorlano, returned the indictment on July 22. 

Rutledge was indicted by a Berkshire grand jury following accusations dating back to the 1990s of sexually assaulting students at the girls' school. Standing in front of the Superior Court, former students Hilary Simon and Melissa Fares that day called out the school for failing to protect them. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories