Letter: New Name for Apkin

Letter to the EditorPrint Story | Email Story

To the Editor:

George Apkin & Sons Inc., would like to share with you some exciting news about our company. We have been working on a strategic plan to ensure that we will be able to continue servicing all our industrial and dealer customers seamlessly for the long term. To ensure that success, we have recently partnered with the Joseph Freedman Co. in Springfield and its affiliates, Perlman Recycling in Pittsfield and Eastern Vehicle Recycling in Westfield.

We are very excited for the depth that this partnership brings. They have a long history dating back 132 years, a great reputation, a professional and friendly team, and a full suite of metal recycling services to further complement our operations.

The only real change will be a small name change to: Apkin Inc. All of our employees in Adams are staying onboard in their current positions, and both of us (Joe Apkin and Bill Apkin) will be staying on as well. Joe Apkin will be leading the company as president, and Bill Apkin will be staying onboard in an advisory role. Sally Cable and Cindi McLain will remain in the office for anything you need.

We appreciate the community that we work with, and it is important to us that we sustain the reputaton and the standing that we have built. To ensure that, we have worked trelessly to make sure that we have partnered with a company that shares our values. We are confident that you will not be disappointed by the transiton.

Thank you to all who have supported us through the years, we look forward to a new chapter.

Joe & Bill Apkin, the Apkin Team
Adams,Mass. 

 

 

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Rising Cost of Fireworks Cancels Annual Cheshire Cruz Nite

Staff Reports
CHESHIRE, Mass. — The annual Cruz Nite is pausing after 35 years because of rising costs. 
 
In a post on Facebook post on Wednesday, the Cheshire Fire Department said the company, "after much consideration, has made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Cruz Nite and Fireworks event for 2026. This pause will allow us time to regroup and determine the best course of action for future events and fundraisers."
 
The August event has featured activities, food trucks, performers, and fire trucks, with a fireworks finale. 
 
"When Cruz Nite first began, proceeds from the event were enough to cover the cost of the fireworks display. Over the years, however, the rising cost of fireworks has made it increasingly difficult to cover that expense through event proceeds alone," according to the post. 
 
Last year, the 20-minute display cost $8,500 and had to be supplemented from the hose company's reserves, and this year the quoted price was $12,500. Searches for other operators only turned up higher prices reaching as much as $17,500. 
 
More than 90 percent of fireworks are imported from China and prices have risen dramatically largely because of high tariffs. The National Fireworks Association said in February that the "fluctuating tariff layers and duty rate increases" have been exceeding 30 percent.  
 
The decision to cancel this year was made at the Hoosac Hose Company's quarterly business meeting on Monday. The post states the vote was unanimous. 
 
View Full Story

More Adams Stories