FEMA Awards Funds to Massachusetts for COVID School Testing Costs

Print Story | Email Story
BOSTON — The Federal Emergency Management Agency will be sending more than $64 million to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to reimburse it for the cost of contracting to provide testing services in public schools during the COVID-19 pandemic.
 
The $64,144,440 Public Assistance grant will reimburse the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services for the cost of contracting to provide testing at schools and in public buildings in surrounding communities between February 2021 and June 2022.
 
The contractor provided services which included operations and logistics of pooled testing, training, software, and technical assistance to school personnel.
 
The contractor also provided transportation for a total of 907,829 COVID-19 test specimens from approximately 2,400 public schools across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to the laboratory for analysis.
 
"FEMA is pleased to be able to assist Massachusetts with these costs," said FEMA Region 1 Regional Administrator Lori Ehrlich. "Reimbursing state, county, and municipal governments – as well as eligible non-profits and tribal entities – for the costs incurred during the COVID-19 pandemic is an important part of our nation's ongoing recovery."
 
FEMA's Public Assistance program is an essential source of funding for states and communities recovering from a federally declared disaster or emergency.
 
So far, FEMA has provided more than $2.7 billion in Public Assistance grants to Massachusetts to reimburse the commonwealth for pandemic-related expenses.
 

Tags: FEMA,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield Council OKs Privacy Measure, Sees Bridge Update

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

The state plans to remove some of crumbling concrete on the Dalton Avenue bridge and wrap its repairs into a project with the rail trail. 

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The City Council is taking steps to protect its own privacy, as well as public comment speakers' privacy. 

On Tuesday, councilors voted to remove their home addresses from city documents and websites and replace them with 70 Allen St., or City Hall, to improve safety. It was brought forward by Ward 4 Councilor James Conant, Ward 7 Councilor Katherine Moody, Ward 1 Councilor Kenneth Warren, and Ward 2 Councilor Cameron Cunningham. 

"This is an easy proposal to support," Ward 6 Councilor Dina Lampiasi said. 

While this doesn't completely block their addresses from public view, as they are listed elsewhere as residents, it makes them a little harder to access. 

Moody pointed out that a Virginia city councilor was set on fire last year by a member of the public. NBC News reported that the attack stemmed from a personal matter. 

"I don't think anybody worries about me being able to defend myself, but I do have children, and I worry for them," Moody explained. 

Warren pointed out that they have done the same for those who speak at public comment. When he was first elected into office years ago, people picketed at his home for his stance on a School Committee issue. 

"Back then, it wasn't that big a deal. Now we find ourselves in very divisive times," Warren said. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories