image description

Pittsfield Public School Budget Cuts Trigger Little Feedback at Hearing

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Few people attended a school budget hearing explaining the need to cut more than 100 Pittsfield Public School employees.

On Wednesday, two special education employees spoke about the importance of preserving positions within their department. Included in the proposed districtwide reductions are 27 teachers, 26 paraprofessionals, and seven instruction and accountability coordinators.

Special Education Coordinator Joanne McGill shared her experience over the last couple of years at Pittsfield High School, saying, "I am well aware that even some cuts will likely result in me losing my position as I am one of the newer employees.

"In those two years I feel like me and the other special education coordinator have I have been able to work within the building has really made a significant amount of progress towards kind of just different initiatives that we have attempted to help put into place to make the environment move smoother."

McGill said the new individualized education plan forms posed a challenge this year and that she has concerns about limiting positions.

"I feel very strongly that our special-education students are going to be harmed in losing some of the experts that have really worked hard to develop meaningful IEPs and have learned the coaching skills to support the teachers in implementing them," she said.

"This year alone with the caseload (individualized education coordinators) we are working with, it's just a heavy load and we're working and making that progress and I'm just afraid of backtracking on all of that progress looking at the possibility of less IECs and more of that pressure on our special education teachers."

Paraprofessional Maeve Murray began her position at Egremont Elementary School last year after about 22 years of residential programs. It has been eye-opening for her to see the teachers and staff work with all of the things that come up each day.



"It just seems superduper important that not just my role but everybody that works with the special education kids be there," she said.

Murray added that one of the teachers she works with recently said, "I don't know what what would happen if you weren't here on a day-to-day basis" and that she loves working for the school system, as it is a "really profound thing."

Much of the impact on the budget is attributed to the September sunsetting of the federal Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief funds that were created in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and not as much in state Chapter 70 education funding as in previous years.

For FY25, the district is anticipating a 3.5 percent increase from this year's budget appropriation totaling $80,821,096, about $2.7 million more. With anticipated contractual increases and other spending obligations reaching more than $6.4 million, a local budget shortfall of almost $3.7 million is anticipated not including the discontinued ESSER funds. That $3.7 million gap has brought a proposal for a level number of reductions.

Superintendent Joseph Curtis pointed out that there will be a second budget workshop on March 27 that will include a line item overview. It will begin with a televised overview and then break into smaller groups to discuss the presentation.

"We will be switching the format slightly to ensure that the detailed budget overview including the line item budget overview will be its own meeting to be televised by Pittsfield Community Television and so that the community will have full access to the presentation and the documentation certainly that we post to our district website," he said.

This will take place at Reid Middle School at 5:30 p.m. The budget is expected to be approved April 25 and the School Committee is expected to meet with the City Council to discuss it no later than June 1.


Tags: fiscal 2025,   pittsfield_budget,   school budget,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Fourth Shooting Occurs Day After DA Announces Gun Violence Task Force

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The day after Berkshire District Attorney Timothy Shugrue announced a task force to take on a spate of gun violence in the city, a another person was injured after shots were fired on Circular Avenue early Tuesday evening. 

Pittsfield Police responded to a 5:30 p.m. ShotSpotter activation at 45 Circular Ave.on Tuesday night. Five rounds were shot, and there was one victim, police said. 
 
"We're investigating it. We don't know if it's connected to anything else," Detective Lt. John Mazzeo said. "What's going on? We can't speculate. It's way too early for that, and the house was struck." 
 
He could not speak to the identity or condition of the victim; a press release shortly afterward stated the victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Berkshire Medical Center by private vehicle.
 
By around 7 p.m. when iBerkshires was on site, the area near the intersection of Circular Avenue and Division Street was blocked off with tape. 
 
This is the fourth gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June.

On Sunday evening, three people were taken to the hospital after a shooting near the intersection of Linden Street and Francis Avenue. This is the third gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June. 

The investigation into all three incidents is still active, and police are confident that they are targeted acts of violence. 

"Right now, our community is rightfully extremely concerned and troubled," Shugrue said in a statement released on Monday.  

"There are many unanswered questions surrounding these incidents of violence. There is an understandable feeling of frustration and fear that no one has been arrested and limited questions have been answered." 

The task force will be led by First Assistant District Attorney Marianne Shelvey, who formerly served at the U.S. Department of Justice's Violent Crimes and Racketeering Section. It will support the Pittsfield Police Department's work and provide additional resources, including additional personnel and overtime funding through grants awarded to the Berkshire DA to support the investigation.

Members of the Pittsfield Police, the Berkshire State Police Detective Unit assigned to the District Attorney's Office, and the Berkshire County Law Enforcement Task Force will be present. 

On June 18, a person died after being shot in the area of Tyler Street and Pleasure Avenue, and another person was injured. Following an extensive investigation, PPD applied for and was granted an arrest warrant for Terry Martizna, wanted for murder. 

On Aug. 4, there was a report of approximately 25 rounds fired around the intersection of Onota and Walnut Street, leading to two non-life-threatening injuries. 

This past weekend, on Aug. 16, there was a third incident of gun violence in the area of Francis Avenue and Linden Street, and three individuals suffered non-life-threatening injuries. 

The DA said all three incidents shattered a feeling of safety in the city.
 
"At this point, we also know that the incidents of violence involve both adults and juveniles. The investigation into all three incidents remains active," the DA wrote. 

"While it is unclear if the incidents are connected, based on the investigations to date, law enforcement are confident that the incidents are targeted and NOT random."

Mayor Peter Marchetti on Monday assured the community that the city is diligently working with law enforcement officials to identify those responsible, as "these acts of violence are not acceptable in this community, and I remain committed to holding those responsible accountable." 

Marchetti, in a written statement posted to social media, said he is in regular communication with the police chief and DA as they continue investigations. He is thankful for the formation of the specialized task force and additional resources. 

"As Mayor, I am committed to providing updates to the public regarding public safety matters, when appropriate. I share your frustration about the limited information released but I will not compromise the integrity of any investigation. As these investigations continue, the public should know that the DA’s Office and Pittsfield Police Department are using every available resource they have to bring the cases to a successful conclusion," he wrote. 

"However, we cannot do this work alone. I continue to ask anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or who has information, photographs, or video that could assist investigators to contact the Pittsfield Police Department." 

He emphasized that all individuals need to be held accountable, and said he cannot jeopardize the case by providing information before it is appropriate. 

Pittsfield has seen gun violence incidents uptick during the summer in the past decade. In 2021, from May 12 through mid-June, there were 13 shootings in Pittsfield, most of which happened in the city's West Side.

The DA said this violence, while carried out by people, is amplified by access to guns and ammunition. Anyone with information of someone with an illegal firearm or any information regarding these incidents is asked to contact Pittsfield Police, 413-448-9700, or provide an anonymous tip by texting PITTIP and your message to TIP411 (847411).

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories