Dalton Traffic Commission Approves Special Permit for Nicholas Sand and Gravel

By Sabrina DammsiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
DALTON, Mass. — The Traffic Commission approved the renewal of Nichols Sand and Gravel's special permit for earth removal. 
 
The company, located at 190 Cleveland Road, operates a gravel pit there. 
 
The hours of operation will remain 7 to 4 p.m. The commission approved owner Paul Nichols' request to allow his trucks to depart the property in either direction. 
 
Nichols has to apply for renewal of the special permit every year. 
 
The previous permit required the truck to exit the property to the right. Former residents requested this stipulation nearly 16 years ago to reduce the number of trucks using the residential street to avoid disturbing the quality of life and neighborhood. 
 
Since then those residents have relocated and there have not been any other objections to the change, Traffic Commission Chair William Drosehn said. 
 
Traffic in the area is going to be the same as there are the same amount of trucks, Nichols said. The only difference is that the traffic will be dispersed. 
 
The only concern is that the road is narrow and Drosehn questioned whether this would be an issue for emergency personnel. Nichols said the street meets state specifications of 22 feet. 
 
No objections were raised by Commissioners Camillus Cachat Jr., Adelard Nadeau, Highway Superintendent Edward "Bud" Hall, Fire Chief Christian Tobin or Drosehn. 
 
The commission also is organizing a list of Complete Street projects to demonstrate which ones have the highest priority. These projects include sidewalk installations and repairs, pedestrian lighting, bike racks, transit shelters, and more. 

Tags: traffic commission,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Local Attorney Launches Bid for Berkshire County Register of Probate

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

Ken Ferris has been 35 years of legal experience, including cases in probate court.

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Longtime local attorney Ken Ferris has announced his candidacy for Berkshire County register of probate. 

The Register of Probate's office for the Berkshire Probate and Family Court manages administrative functions for cases, often involving significant and life-changing situations.  Ferris wants to ensure that the office is accessible, professional, and efficient, while serving the public with fairness and dignity. 

Ferris became a lawyer decades ago to help people, he said, and feels that he can improve the Register of Probate's office to benefit the public and employees. He kicked off his campaign at the Tavern at the A on Feb. 12. 

"The office runs very well, but there's got to be a way that I can improve this process to help people understand and navigate through the system so that at the end of the day, they get their justice, if you will," he said. 

"They've got to have access, and I think that I have some ideas that I believe will help people get the access they need." 

Ferris is an attorney with Hashim & Spinola and has 35 years of legal experience in Berkshire County.  He also served as the coordinator of the mediation program at the Berkshire County Probate and Family Court for several years.  

It is a little bittersweet, Ferris said, because as the Register of Probate, he would have to step down from law practice. 

"But practicing law, you're only helping that particular person, at that particular time," he explained. "I think, with the registry, I would be able to help a lot more people. That is what inspired me." 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories