Letter: Christine Hoyt Best Choice for Adams Select Board on May 4

Letter to the EditorPrint Story | Email Story

To the Editor:

I am a proud resident of Adams, and it's clear that our town is moving in a positive direction. From the revitalization of the Adams Theater to the opening of the Greylock Glen Outdoor Center, we are seeing meaningful progress take shape.

Christine Hoyt has been a driving part of this momentum since 2017. During her time on the Select Board, she has worked to address critical priorities, such as infrastructure improvements (like the $6.5 million wastewater treatment upgrades), economic development, and the preservation of essential town services.

Re-electing Christine to a fourth term ensures continuity in this important work. Her role on the Local Government Advisory Commission (LGAC) enables her to advocate directly for Adams at the state level, helping secure general government aid, Chapter 90 funding, and support for public education. She also brings valuable leadership experience through her service as president of the Berkshire County Select Board Association, District 1 representative on both the Massachusetts Select Board Association and the Massachusetts Municipal Association Board of Directors, and her work with the Massachusetts Interlocal Insurance Association. This level of experience and representation is an asset our town cannot afford to lose.



Christine has proven she has the vision and the work ethic to lead Adams for another three years. I hope you will join me in voting for her on Monday, May 4, and keep the momentum going.

The election will be held on Monday, May 4, 2026, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Adams Memorial Building, 30 Columbia St.
 

Leah Thompson
Adams, Mass. 

 

 


Tags: election 2026,   town elections,   


If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Rising Cost of Fireworks Cancels Annual Cheshire Cruz Nite

Staff Reports
CHESHIRE, Mass. — The annual Cruz Nite is pausing after 35 years because of rising costs. 
 
In a post on Facebook post on Wednesday, the Cheshire Fire Department said the company, "after much consideration, has made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Cruz Nite and Fireworks event for 2026. This pause will allow us time to regroup and determine the best course of action for future events and fundraisers."
 
The August event has featured activities, food trucks, performers, and fire trucks, with a fireworks finale. 
 
"When Cruz Nite first began, proceeds from the event were enough to cover the cost of the fireworks display. Over the years, however, the rising cost of fireworks has made it increasingly difficult to cover that expense through event proceeds alone," according to the post. 
 
Last year, the 20-minute display cost $8,500 and had to be supplemented from the hose company's reserves, and this year the quoted price was $12,500. Searches for other operators only turned up higher prices reaching as much as $17,500. 
 
More than 90 percent of fireworks are imported from China and prices have risen dramatically largely because of high tariffs. The National Fireworks Association said in February that the "fluctuating tariff layers and duty rate increases" have been exceeding 30 percent.  
 
The decision to cancel this year was made at the Hoosac Hose Company's quarterly business meeting on Monday. The post states the vote was unanimous. 
 
View Full Story

More Adams Stories