The Mount Announces Winners of the 2011 Edith Wharton Writing Competition

Print Story | Email Story
LENOX, Mass. — The Mount, the historic estate of Edith Wharton, has announced the winners of the 2011 Edith Wharton Writing Competition. This winter, more than 100 students from high schools in Berkshire County and surrounding areas participated in the annual creative writing contest, which invited entries for fiction and poetry.

The Mount invites all contestants and their teachers and families as well as the general public to attend an awards ceremony at The Mount, 2 Plunkett St., from 3 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 30. The afternoon ceremony will open with a keynote speech by Connie Nordhielm Wooldridge, author of "The Brave Escape of Edith Wharton." Award winners will be presented with prizes and will be invited to read their winning works aloud.

The winners are as follows:

First Prize, 11th and 12th Grades ($250 Awards)

Sam Levin, Monument Mountain Regional High School - Fiction
Margaret Park Haas, The Hotchkiss School - Poetry

Second Prize, 11th and 12th Grades ($150 Awards)

Quinn Martin, Monument Mountain Regional High School - Fiction
Alexandra Copp, The Hotchkiss School - Poetry

Honorable Mention, 11th and 12th Grades (Gift Awards)

Christopher Cuevas, Lee High School - Fiction
Erin Rosalie Ostheimer, Mount Greylock Regional High School - Poetry

Sam Levin, Monument Mountain Regional High School - Poetry

First Prize, 9th and 10th Grades ($200 Awards)

Alaina Demopolous, Miss Porter's School - Fiction
Emily Tarjick, Hoosac Valley High School - Poetry

Second Prize, 9th and 10th Grades ($100 Awards)

Adelaide Bullock, Berkshire School - Fiction
Kelsey Hebert, Mount Greylock Regional High School - Poetry

Honorable Mention, 9th and 10th Grades (Gift Awards)

Zavi Sheldon, Mount Greylock Regional High School - Fiction
Elizabeth Paolucci, Chatham High School - Poetry
Julia Reynolds, Berkshire Country Day School - Poetry
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield Families Frustrated Over Unreleased PHS Report, Herberg Slur Incident

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Parents are expressing their frustration with hate speech, bullying, and staff misconduct, which they said happens in Pittsfield schools. 

Community members and some elected officials have consistently advocated for the release of the redacted Pittsfield High School investigation report, and a teacher being placed on leave for allegedly repeating racist and homophobic slurs sparked a community conversation about how Pittsfield Public Schools can address injustices. 

The district's human resources director detailed the investigation processes during last week's School Committee meeting.

"People are angry. They feel like when they spoke up about Morningside School, it was closed anyway. They feel like they speak up about the PHS report, and that's just kind of getting shoved under the rug," resident Brenda Coddington said during public comment.

"I mean, when do people who actually voted for all of you, by the way, when does their voice and opinion count and matter? Because you can sit up here all day long and say that it does, but your actions, or rather lack of action, speak volumes."

Last month, School Committee member Ciara Batory demanded a date for the 2025 report's release to the public.

Three administrators and two teachers, past and present, were investigated by Bulkley Richardson and Gelinas LLP for a range of allegations that surfaced or re-surfaced at the end of 2024 after Pittsfield High's former dean of students was arrested and charged by the U.S. Attorney's Office for allegedly conspiring to traffic large quantities of cocaine in Western Massachusetts.

Executive summaries were released that concluded the claims of inappropriate conduct between teachers and students were "unsupported." Ward 7 Councilor Katherine Moody countered one of the unsupported determinations, writing on Facebook last week that she knows one person can conclude with confidence and a court case that pictures of the staff member's genitalia was sent to minors. 

"During this investigation, we sought to determine the validity of allegations about PHS Administrator #2 sharing a photograph of female genitalia with PHS students on her Snapchat account," the final executive summary reads. 

View Full Story

More Lenox Stories