"We have neighbors to this particular property who are doing their best to maintain their properties and sadly the condition of this property is having a negative effect with diminished property values and diminished quality of life. This will be a top, top priority for me in my administration," she said at the time.
The three-unit rental property at 49-55 John St. was the backdrop. On Wednesday, the Board of Health ordered for it to be demolished.
"This property has been a blight in the neighborhood for more than seven years and it's time," Code Enforcement Inspector Mark Blaisdell told the Board of Health.
Blaisdell said code enforcement began seven years ago. In October 2016, the department ramped up issuing nuisance letters, ticketing the property owner, issuing nuisance orders, and even met with the property owner multiple times on site.
"Code enforcement has remained unsuccessful. He does the most minimal things to do for compliance," Blaisdell said.
Blaisdell said the property is a safety risk for anybody who walks onto it and cited some specific areas of the building that were in "dire need" of repair.
In May 2017, the city issued an order of condemnation. And now, the Board of Health has given the OK for it to be demolished.
Health Director Gina Armstrong said the house will be added to another lengthy list of properties awaiting demolition. A "code enforcement team" consisting of the building inspectors and Fire, Health, and Engineering departments meets monthly with representatives from Community Development and the city solicitor, and the Purchasing Department will determine which of those on the list gets taken down.
Just recently, that group ordered four other properties to be razed. Later in the year, the city is expected to order another round of demolitions and 49-55 John St. could end up on that list. Or, it could end up being pushed to a later round. Armstrong said the properties chosen for demolition are based on a number of factors and not necessarily in order of when the demolitions were approved.
The Board of Health also issued demolition orders for 37-39 Curtis St. and 100 John St. as well on Wednesday, adding to the number of properties slated to eventually meet their maker.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Pittsfield Schools See Better Building Utilization, Continued Choice Outs
By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Students return to school in two weeks; Pittsfield will have one less elementary school and around 100 fewer students.
The School Committee was updated on enrollment for the 2026-2027 academic year during last week's regular meeting.
At this time, the Pittsfield Public Schools had 4,586 students, compared to 4,682 at the end of the 2025-2026 school year. Superintendent Latifah Phillips said this has been the district's trend for years and is not surprising.
"Across all of these grade levels, we have a decrease. I believe of about 80-90 students. I think it's at eighth grade that we're going to look into and make sure that our data is accurate," she said to the School Committee last week.
"But otherwise, the enrollment is following the trends that we have expected in probably the last decade."
With this school year comes the closure of Morningside Community School and the middle school restructuring that sends Grades 5-6 to Herberg Middle School and Grades 7-8 to Reid Middle School.
Fifth grade enrollment was subtracted from last year's elementary enrollment, and these reflect the reassignment of Morningside students to Allendale, Capeless, Egremont, and Williams.
Phillips pointed out that this process has increased the use of school buildings, as underutilized buildings were one of the concerns that led to institutional changes.
The state primary election is weeks away but the city's elections workers and a small group of volunteers are already at work behind the scenes ensuring that every vote is safe and secure.
click for more
On Friday, students of the Flying Cloud Institute's Future Innovators Camp launched their model rockets at Herberg Middle School after a week studying the physics of flight.
click for more
Three people were taken to the hospital Sunday evening after a shooting near the intersection of Linden Street and Francis Avenue, police said. click for more
A new mixed-income housing development cut the ribbon on the apartment complex Thursday morning with state and local officials in attendance. click for more