Demolition is well underway at the Cold Spring Road campus, where Holyoke's American Environmental has taken the lead on tearing down the two classroom wings that have been replaced by a three-story addition as part of the school district's $64 million building project.
It was three years ago when then just a candidate for mayor Linda Tyer stood in front of a blighted John Street property and campaigned against blight.
"We have neighbors to this particular property who are doing their best to maintain their properties and sadly the condition of this property is having a negative effect with diminished property values and diminished quality of life. This will be a top, top priority for me in my administration," she said at the time.
The properties were chosen by the city's "code enforcement team" consisting of the building inspectors and Fire, Health, and Engineering departments. The team meets monthly with representatives from Community Development, the city solicitor, and the Purchasing Department.
Town Counsel Edmund St. John III told the Selectmen in his report Wednesday that he was recently in housing court and he anticipates receiving an order from the judge to proceed in demolishing the dangerous dilapidated building.
Town Administrator Tony Mazzucco told the Selectmen on Wednesday that the Board of Survey determined that the property on the corner of Edmunds Street and Commercial is unsecure, unstable and any day could collapse onto the nearby sidewalk or road.
It has been 11 months since one of the biggest fires the city has seen in decades. The sky was lit up for miles. Fire companies from all over the county descended on the scene to douse the flames towering high from the former J.B. Paper warehouse.
And today, the remains of that night are still piled high. In 11 months, there has been little to no progress toward cleaning up the mess left behind and the cause of the fire remains unknown.
The building at 11-15 Furnace St. was demolished Friday, nearly three years after the city first sought to take down the vacant structure.
The apartment building was one of several given the thumbs up for razing by the Historical Commission last month. The commission in 2014 twice voted against taking down the building, hoping that it could be saved.
The City Council on Tuesday approved the transfer of $264,288.38 in certified free cash to various accounts, including $62,686.53 toward the purchase of a building on Furnace Street.
In a communication to the council, Mayor Richard Alcombright said the property at 110-112 Furnace St. cannot be occupied because the road and retaining wall owned by the city is pushing against the building and damaging the porches.
A presumed Dunkin Donuts is now eyeing the Royal Cleaners property on Dalton Avenue for a drive-through restaurant. But, the City Council has ordered the company to pay for a third party to review the proposal for stormwater and traffic issues.
The former caretaker's house on Onota Lake is once again eyed for the wrecking ball.
The building is one of six lined up to be demolished by the city. The city is currently out to bid for the demolition of the following properties: 193 Dewey Avenue, 538 Lakeway Drive, 266 Onota Street, 88 Robbins Avenue, 173 Robbins Avenue, 14-18 South Church Street. The work is expected to be underway in January.
Garfield House, named for its first occupant, an 1885 alumnus of the college and son of the 20th president of the United States, is outdated, inefficient and far too costly to renovate, according to a nine-person committee that studied the building.
The City Council rejected a request to add funds to the property demolition budget line Tuesday night, which was eyed to start moving toward securing the JB Paper Company building, which burned earlier this year.
Mayor Linda Tyer put in a request to add $25,000 to the property demolition budget, a budget which the City Council had cut during the budget process by that much. Tyer said the increase would go to performing a hazardous materials assessment and creation of specification for the dem
The City Council next week will be asked to appropriate $50,000 in emergency funding to match a state grant to fix Notre Dame Church.
Mayor Richard Alcombright sought $50,000 from Secretary of State William F. Galvin, who oversees the Massachusetts Historical Commission, to help in stabilizing the rear buttresses of the church. One buttress has partially collapsed and others show mortar weakness.
The former convent at St. Joseph's Church was reduced to a pile of rubble on Monday.
The demolition comes six years after the Diocese of Springfield said it had run out of options for the vacant structure and nearly six months after the Community Development Board overrode a recommendation to halt the razing.
Demolition began in earnest on Wednesday months after the deteriorating steeple on St. Francis' Church was removed.
A building connecting the 150-year-old church to the rectory on Union Street was razed late last week in preparation for the removal of the church proper. Interior work on hazardous waste abatement had been completed some weeks ago.