Adams Man in Wednesday's Stabbing Incident Arraigned on Assault Charges

Staff Reports Print Story | Email Story
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — An Adams man who called 911 on Tuesday night saying he had been stabbed was arraigned Friday on charges related to that incident and on outstanding warrants. 
 
Philip White, 25, is accused of stabbing himself and calling 911 posing as a "friend." According to the Berkshire District Attorney's Office, an officer responding to the scene at 31 Commercial St. fired his weapon when the White was "observed approaching the officer in a threatening manner with an object in his hand." He missed, and no one was further injured. 
 
White was initially held at Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield for a mental health evaluation and was reported in stable condition from his wounds, which were described as not life-threatening.
 
He was charged in Northern Berkshire District Court with assault with a dangerous weapon, to wit: cutting instrument, in connection with the Jan. 27 incident. He is being held without right to bail probation violation from charges of assault and battery, resisting arrest, and disorderly conduct from an incident on Sept. 12, 2025. 
 
White has three outstanding warrants which include three counts of trespass and one count of assault and battery on a family/household member. The court has additionally ordered an evaluation on his competence to stand trial and at the defense request, criminal responsibility.
 
A dangerousness hearing request is scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 4. 
 
District Attorney Timothy Shugrue said he will announce the findings of the full investigation into this incident, including the officer's discharge of his firearm, upon the conclusion of the investigation. The DA's Office said there would not be any additional comments at this time.
 

Tags: assaults,   stabbing,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough TA Tapped as Adams Community Development Director

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

ADAMS, Mass.— Lanesborough's town administrator has been tapped as Adams' director of community development. 

On the agenda for the Select Board's meeting on Wednesday is a ratification of Gina Dario as director of community development. She has worked for Lanesborough since late 2022, when she was hired as town administrator. 

Dario is also a native of Adams and will replace Donna Cesan, the retired community development director who stepped in last year to temporarily fill the vacant spot. 

The town's job posting explains that the community development director manages community and economic programs and develops work plans and programs to meet Adams' growth and development goals.  

This includes managing the Community Development Block Grant Program funding and procuring, negotiating, and managing professional service contracts. 

The position reports to the Town Administrator Nicholas Caccamo, who was hired last year.  

Lanesborough Select Board Chair Deborah Maynard on Tuesday said Dario had informed Town Hall and all boards and committees. 
 
"She plans on leaving mid-October," Maynard wrote. "Hopefully, we will have candidates to interview before then."

The pay grade is level 14, between about $80,000 per year and $118,000.  A Bachelor's Degree, Master's preferred, in a related field and a minimum of eight years of progressively responsible experience in project management or local planning is required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. 

Before her work in Lanesborough, Dario was a former state manager with the Australian Electoral Commission in Perth, Western Australia, and before that, she worked as an assistant commissioner with the Australian Electoral Commission in Canberra, the country's capital.

She grew up in the Berkshires before attending Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley and obtaining a master's degree in international public affairs from Columbia University in New York City.

View Full Story

More Adams Stories