Hoosac Valley Football Outduels Mount Greylock

By Kevin ShakeriBerkshires.com Sports
Print Story | Email Story
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — The 2017 football season got off to a thrilling start at Mount Greylock on Friday as the Hoosac Valley Hurricanes prevailed over the host Mounties, 36-22.
Two of Berkshire County’s toughest football teams clashed in the season opener and it lived up to the expectations.
The game started with a nice opening drive from Mount Greylock (0-1) that came to an abrupt end with an interception from Izaha Stubbs deep in Hoosac’s territory. Both teams went back-and-forth, trading  possessions until Reece Gillette recovered a muffed punt in good position. Michael Wellspeak took advantage of the turnover by finding Sean McCormack in the end zone on a 15-yard catch. Wellspeak threw for 44 yards, including that touchdown pass, He also ran for 49.
Hoosac Valley (1-0) answered right back with an impressive drive of its own, leading to a Vance Euguene rushing touchdown. Eugene ran for 52 yards and also threw for 127. Hoosac did not hold onto the lead for very long as Cal Messina broke off a 40-yard touchdown on the ensuing possession. He finished with 63 yards rushing on the night.
With momentum on its side, it looked as though Mount Greylock was going to run away with the game after a Jude Rorke rushing touchdown made it 22-8 Mounties.
But With 24 seconds left in the half, Eugene added his second rushing touchdown of the night, closing the gap to 22-16 at the break. 
Hoosac rode that great end to the first half with a touchdown on the opening drive of the second half when Eugene found Matt Hall in the end zone on an 8-yard pass to tie the game at 22-22. Hoosac then picked up things on the defensive end, holding Mount Greylock to short drives.  After a turnover on downs Hoosac took the lead with a beautiful run by Steve Stodja for 38 yards, giving his team a 30-22 lead. Stodja finished the game with 127 yards on the ground. 
“We didn’t adjust too much at the break, one or two small things,” Hoosac Valley coach Dayne Poirot said. “It was really just attitude and them worrying about each other. We have a lot of good athletes on this team and we are going to keep improving”
The real icing on the cake came with just less than 6 minutes to go in the game when Hoosac converted on a 4th and 2 to keep the chains moving. Once again Vance proved to be big by sealing the game with a 63-yard pass for a touchdown to Nicholas Waterman,  the final score of the game. 
Hoosac Valley will get a week off and be back in action on Sept. 22 against Westfield at home, While Mount Greylock will look to regroup against Drury next Friday  at home. 
Print Story | Email Story