Patrick Slices Budget Again to Stem Deficit Growth

Staff reportsiBerkshires
Print Story | Email Story
BOSTON — With another budget gap growing larger by the day, Gov. Deval Patrick is hoping to fill the hole with 750 state positions and an influx of federal monies.

A grim Patrick laid out his plans on Tuesday to stem the latest deficit — a $156 million gap that could grow another $400 million by the end of the fiscal year in June.

A continuing and precipitous drop in state revenues because of the ongoing global financial crisis has forced the Patrick administration to cut $2.1 billion in spending since last October.

The cuts have caused trepidation in cities and towns across the state that are building budgets on tentative state aid numbers.

"The historic downturn is hitting state government especially hard, leaving us with tough choices among miserable options," said Patrick at a press conference at the State House on Tuesday. "We must take these painful but necessary steps today if we are going to position Massachusetts for recovery and long-term economic success."

To help close the immediate budget gap, Patrick said he will use a mixture of federal recovery funds, budget cuts and spending controls, mandatory staff furloughs, and the elimination of more than 750 additional state positions through layoffs, attrition, and stringent new hiring limits for state agencies. 

Additionally, he has tasked Administration and Finance Secretary Leslie Kirwan with beginning negotiations with state collective bargaining units over a full range of potential cost-cutting initiatives.

 
The plan includes using $128 million in federal recovery funds, $16 million in additional budget cuts and spending controls, and $12 million in savings from furloughs and work-force reductions.

Related Stories
Governor Offers Plan to Plug $1.4B Debt

Patrick Plans $128M in Local Aid Cuts
The governor said he is committed to working with the Legislature to solve the growing budget deficit.

The executive branch has already slashed 836 positions, said Patrick, and is on track by the end of this fiscal year to reach the approximately 1,000 positions announced last October.

The governor said the three- to five-day furloughs being imposed on managers will affect the state's top executives, too.

"The lieutenant governor and I will take five-day furloughs, as well," said Patrick.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Arrest Made in Pittsfield Hit-And-Run

iBerkshires.com Staff
PITTSFIELD, Mass. -- A Hancock man Monday was arrested in connection with last week's fatal hit-and-run accident in Pittsfield, police said.
 
Pittsfield Police arrested William Gross, 65, of Hancock, according to a Monday night news release.
 
The crash on Feb. 10 at the intersection of Francis Avenue and Linden Street led to the death of Pittsfield resident William Colbert, 69.
 
On Monday, Pittsfield Police located the vehicle involved in the accident, the release read.
 
Police said Gross will be arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on charges of motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene of an accident resulting in personal injury or death.
View Full Story

More Regional Stories