Greylock Wins Big, while Hoosac Improves

Staff reportsPrint Story | Email Story
ADAMS, Mass. -- Success can be hard to measure sometimes and you can't always see it on the scoreboard, as evidenced by the Hoosac Valley boys' soccer team's 8-1 loss to Mount Greylock on Thursday. 

The Mounties, now at 12-0-2 are quite simply a juggernaut and arguably the best team in Western Mass., while the Hurricanes, which fell to 1-11-1 on Thursday, are a young group of players trying to find their way under new head coach Nate Girard. 

Take the score off the board and look at the performance on the field and you'll notice the strides Hoosac has made since they played Greylock the first time this season, a 10-0 beatdown in Williamstown back on Sept. 16th. 

"For the first 32 minutes of the game, we were only down 1-0," Girard said. "We had some very good quality chances by playing the ball to feet and had two opportunities that should of been goals. A penalty kick was called in Greylock's favor and, unfortunately, they scored in the 32nd minute. My keeper, Tom Galisa, had phenomenal saves and, unfortunately, at halftime a nagging ankle injury caught up to him and he had to take himself out. Chris Gadja has big shoes to fill as a freshman goalie, and Greylock just took advantage by drilling in five goals in the second half."

Girard wasn't the only coach that noticed a different Hurricanes' club the second time around. 

"Hoosac was much stronger at the beginning of the match," Mounties head coach Blair Dils said. "They played hard the entire game and showed much better poise on the ball in the midfield than the last time we played."

Senior forward Jesse Foehl, who led the Greylock offense with three goals, got his team off to a quick start by scoring off of a breakaway 58 seconds into the game. The Hoosac defense tighten up after that until senior Tom Dils punched in a penalty kick with less than eight minutes left in the first half. The dagger by Greylock came three minutes later, when Foehl nailed a one-timer inside the near post from a corner feed from junior Nathan Majumder to give the Mounties a 3-0 lead the break. 

"Most of our goals were on individual breaks to goal," Dils said. "Because they were so man-oriented on defense, once we beat one defender, we found success getting to the net in a direct manner. Jesse's been getting himself on the end of a lot of balls lately. It's good to see him heat up with the toughest stretch of our schedule in front of us."

Galisa stopped eight of the 16 shots he faced in the first half, but he had to check out of the game with an injury at halftime. Gajda (seven saves) did his best to hold down the fort after halftime, but Greylock used a 12-4 advantage in shots to outscore the hosts 5-1 in the second half. Freshman Eric Hirsch scored the first of his two goals 30 seconds after halftime before Foehl came up with his team-leading 14th goal of the season in the 43rd minute. Junior Alex White and Dils also found the back of the net for the Mounties, while freshman Taylor Carlough impressed Dils with his work on the defensive side of the ball. 

Junior Sean Houston made four saves for Greylock, with a late goal by Brendon Tetlow as his only blemish in the game. 

"We didn't give up, and my team continued to fight until the end," Girard said. "After a while, the hard work and pressure paid off. Dylan Hilchey won a ball at midfield, took a few touches and slotted a great ball inside the 18 to Brendan Tetlow, who did a slide tackle in the box and got a great touch on the ball, which went over Houston's head and fell into the top left corner to break up the Greylock shutout."

Both teams have interesting matchups in their next games. The Hurricanes host rival Drury at 12 p.m. on Saturday, while the Mounties face a big test in a road game against Division 1 Amherst at 4:30 p.m. on the same day. 

Print Story | Email Story