Last-Second Goal Lifts Drury Over Wahconah

By Stephen Sports
Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. – It was not quite the miracle on ice.
But to truly appreciate Drury’s 3-2 win over Wahconah on Friday, it helped to suspend your disbelief.
“It’s unbelievable,” Owen Taylor said after scoring with no time left on the clock to give the Blue Devils a win at the Boys and Girls Club. “I can practice it all the time, but that’s a once in a lifetime kind of thing.”
Wahconah’s players and fans could not quite believe it after Taylor’s last second shot found the back of the net. As the Blue Devils celebrated, the hosts looked directly at the scoreboard, where the time read 0.0.
Then, they looked to the officials, who conferred at center ice before confirming the goal and sending Drury home victorious.
Its coach said he never saw a goal quite like Friday’s game-winner.
“That’s the first time – playing, coaching, no,” Derek Durocher said. “I actually wasn’t sure if I believed it or not. … We’ve been on the other side of those quite a bit. I guess we caught a break tonight.”
The goal ended a back-and-forth contest that saw each team take and lose a one-goal lead.
Wahconah drew first blood when Jackson Molleur scored from the left point with about five minutes left in the first period.
In the final minute of the period, Cam Taylor tied it with a goal from the right wing to make it 1-1.
After a scoreless second period that saw each team come up empty on its power play, Drury grabbed its first lead midway through the third.
David Delisle scored an unassisted goal on the power play with 7:01 on the clock to put the Blue Devils up, 2-1.
The lead did not last long. Forty-three seconds later, Molleur intercepted a clearing pass along the right wing board and sent the puck toward the net, where Devin Lampron finished to tie the score.
And it looked like that was where things would end before a rebound popped out to Taylor on the left wing, where he was able to beat the clock … and Wahconah.
“I was just standing in front of the net, and the puck popped out, and I just buried it,” he said.
It was one of the few shots to get past Wahconah keeper Antonio Scalise, who finished with 25 saves.
At the other end, Chase Vander Woude stopped 28 shots for the Blue Devils.
“Chase worked for every bit of that one,” Durocher said. “He was under fire for a lot of that hockey game. He battled, he battled. All of them did.”
Drury (3-4) hosts Mount Everett on Wednesday. Wahconah (1-8) is at Amherst on Feb. 5.
Print Story | Email Story