Jamrog Lifts Wahconah to OT Win at Mount Greylock

By Stephen DravisiBerkshires.com Sports
Print Story | Email Story
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. -- Helen Jamrog scored late in the second half to send the game to overtime and added four of her team’s six points in overtime as the Wahconah Unified Basketball team defeated Mount Greylock, 58-52, on Tuesday night.
Jamrog scored 16 points for Wahconah, which improved to 1-2 this fall against its Berkshire County rival.
Mount Greylock led 46-34 before Wahconah put on a 16-6 run to finish regulation time.
Each team had a chance to win it in regulation, but the lid stayed on the basket, sending the teams to overtime for the second time in three meetings.
Tony Marra scored the game-winner with a putback midway through the three-minute OT.
Jamrog then connected from 6 feet out to make it 56-52. She added an insurance bucket the next time down the court to provide the final margin of victory.
The Wahconah-Mount Greylock rivalry has produced some classic games in the programs’ first two years, and Dakota Sunskis has been there for all of them -- last year as a player and this season as an assistant coach for first-year head coach LIza Barrett.
Sunskis said he was recruited to work the bench by last year’s head coach Karen DuCharme, a Mount Greylock special education teacher and also a member of Barrett’s staff.
Sunskis said he is enjoying the experience as a coach and joked he that he doesn’t miss his playing days.
“I made terrible shots, trust me,” said Sunskis, sounding like most any other high school player turned coach.
“I enjoy helping Miss Barrett and holding the clipboard.”
Mount Greylock’s game plan worked wonders in the first half on Tuesday.
The Mounties broke open a tight game with an 8-2 run late in the half.
Aidan Barnes (game-high 26) scored three times in that stretch, capping it with a bucket to give the Mounties a 24-16 lead.
Aaron McKeon (10 points) scored with an assist from Savanna Mabey moments later to push the Mounties’ lead to 10 points at 28-18. And the hosts went into the break ahead, 32-20.
The teams went toe-to-toe in the opening stages of the second half. Barnes stayed hot for the Mounties, scoring 10 of their first 14 in the second half.
At the other end, Shea McPherson had a couple of baskets for Wahconah, which also got points from Brock Prett and Chris Morin to keep it a 10-point game at 44-34.
It was 46-34 when Wahconah really caught fire.
Paige Trager scored to start the comeback run, which featured good ball movement and scoring from the Marra brothers.
Tony Marra scored twice in 16-6 run to tie it. He also set up Jamrog for two of her three baskets in that stretch. Dillon Marra also knocked down a shot to help the cause.
Mount Greylock took its last lead of the night with just more than two minutes left when Kaylie Bryan fed Jamieson Sanborn to make it 52-50. Sanborn scored six points -- all in the second half.
Mount Greylock and Wahconah have some time to rest and prepare for next Thursday’s rematch in Dalton, a night that will see the two teams play one another and Northampton in a three-team mini-jamboree.
Print Story | Email Story