Q-MoB Offers Briefings on Benefits for Rural Berkshire LGBTQ Community

Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Q-MoB is sponsoring two informational briefings for the LGBTQ community regarding health insurance, Social Security, and food stamp benefits. 
 
The organization states the briefings are in response to potential impacts from executive orders and the new Congressional budget.
 
The briefings are being organized by Q-MoB's Ombudsman Advocacy Team, which is recruiting volunteers to assist rural LGBTQ individuals in understanding and potentially protecting or restoring federal benefits. Experts from Berkshire Health Systems Advocacy for Access Program, Elder Services of Berkshire County's SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Everyone) Program, and an Ecu-Health Care SHINE counselor will lead the sessions. Support for the briefings is provided in part by Berkshire United Way.
 
The briefings will take place at the Berkshire United Way conference room in Pittsfield:
  • April 15: LGBTQ Briefing: Protect Your Soc. Sec., Medicare, Affordable Care Health Insurance, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
  • April 29: LGBTQ Briefing: Medicaid/Affordable Care Act/SNAP 101, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Q-MoB's Executive Director, Bart Church, stated that rural LGBTQ individuals, particularly those over 60 and/or who are transgender or gender diverse, may be disproportionately affected by potential benefit changes due to factors such as isolation and historical economic disparities. The organization aims to educate the community to proactively protect their benefits.
 
Individuals interested in attending the free briefings can find registration links on the Q-MoB website. LGBTQ individuals interested in volunteering for Q-MoB's Ombudsman Advocacy Team can find more information online.
 
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Suspect Arraigned in 'Horrific' Dragging Case

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

Complete write-thru 3 p.m., Feb. 18.


District Attorney TimothyShugrue says the community has been 'really upset' by this case. 
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A Hancock man has been charged in last week's gruesome dragging that killed 69-year-old William Colbert. 
 
William Gross, 65, was arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on Wednesday for negligent motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene. He was arrested Monday after police investigators narrowed down the type of car seen on video at the accident scene. 
 
Police say Colbert had fallen in the road at the Francis Avenue and Linden Street intersection on Feb. 10 before he was struck and dragged nearly four miles. His body was found on West Housatonic Street.
 
Gross is being held on $250,000 cash bail in the Berkshire County House of Corrections. District Attorney Timothy Shugrue said the case will go to a grand jury and foresees additional charges being placed. 
 
"I think this community was really upset by this case," Shugrue said while being interviewed by the press after the morning arraignment.  
 
"It's a horrific case, and the fact that someone was fleeing, and there was someone that was stuck there that could have been treated, and potentially in the initial stages, could have been potentially saved." 
 
Colbert was coming from a house on Francis Avenue about 11:30 on Feb. 10 when fell in the road and had trouble getting up, according to Shugrue. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories