Adams Firefighters Quickly Douse Dryer Fire
ADAMS, Mass. — The Fire Department quickly snuffed out a dryer fire before it extended into a Summit Avenue home Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters responded a little after 1 p.m. to a single-family home at 13 Summit Ave. for a fire that was called in as a dryer fire and possible structure fire.
Fire Chief John Pansecchi said department was out on another call when the Summit Avenue report came in. He said the assistant chief was first on the scene.
"We showed up, there was smoke coming out of the back door and we thought it was in the structure," he said. "Manpower was an issue to start with. I was doing double duty as command and operating the truck and running supplies but we got inside quick and knocked the hell out of it."
Pansecchi said Cheshire and Clarksburg were alerted along with North Adams Fire Department. He said because they were able to control the fire so quickly they called off Clarksburg, which had been requested to cover the fire station. North Adams was on scene with its Engine 2 and Cheshire ended up covering the fire station.
Adams Ambulance was also on scene.
Pansecchi said the washer and dryer were total losses. Both were both charred and on the front lawn. He said other than that, the homeowner is just looking at some smoke and water damage.
He said dryer fires always have the potential to become overwhelming fast.
"This was seconds away from being the whole structure," he said. "Everyone did a good job and we appreciate the mutual aid."
The trucks started packing up a little after 1:30 p.m.