Taconic Icers Edge Mount Everett

By Stephen DravisiBerkshires.com Sports
Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. – Brayden Bishop and Roshan Warriar each had a goal and an assist on Wednesday to lead the Taconic hockey team to a 2-1 win over Mount Everett at the Boys and Girls Club.
The Thunder bounced back after a draining road trip on Monday night to improve to 7-4 this winter.
Given the teams’ respective records (Mount Everett dropped to 1-13-1) and performance against common opponents this season, the game was much closer than expected.
But Anthonio Scalise and Cam LaFerriere combined to make 23 saves, and Taconic held off a third-period surge to take its second game in two outings against a Berkshire County rival.
“We had a very physical game on Monday against Amherst, a 3-2 loss in overtime,” Taconic coach Matt Risley said. “I would have liked to see more out of them [tonight], but I understand. They were a little beat up. We were missing Rylan Padelford, so, shuffling lines around, that’s a big loss for us.”
On the other hand, Mount Everett coach Jake King was happy to see his team put up a fight coming off back-to-back losses by scores of 6-0 and 7-0.
“A lot of these boys play together, so they definitely have that battle in them,” King said. “It was fun to see, nice to see. I’m glad they showed up tonight.
“We wish it could have gone the other way, but I’m proud of the effort tonight.”
Hunter Shepardson made 27 saves, and the Eagles fought back after being down 2-0 in the second period to give themselves a chance at the tying goal late. But Taconic held the fort for two minutes against the extra skater to preserve the one-goal margin.
Early on, Taconic had to overcome a five-minute major penalty in the sixth minute of play.
The tired and short-handed Thunder weathered that storm. And with two minutes left in the period it found a way past Shepardson.
Bishop scored from the high slot to give his team a 1-0 lead that lasted well into the second period.
That is when Taconic earned its first power play opportunity of the game. And it cashed in for what turned out to be the decisive goal.
Zack Schneider fed Bishop at the top of the offensive zone, and Bishop fired a shot toward the net that Warriar tipped home to make it 2-0.
“It was a great play,” Risley said. “Great shot, great tip. Someone actually went to the net to get a tip. It was good to see. It was a very nice play by them.
“It’s something we’ve been working on in practice. Not enough. We haven’t spent too much time on it. But they set it up, worked the puck around and got a shot.”
Taconic fought off Mount Everett’s fourth power play of the game early in the third period, and Schneider made a great play to deny a breakaway with about 10 minutes to play.
But less than a minute later, Mount Everett’s Ian Mack converted a 1-on-1 opportunity to get his team on the board.
The third ended up being the only period where the Eagles earned a slim advantage in shots on goal. But Taconic came together when it mattered to put the game away.
“They competed very well,” Risley said. “They gave me everything they had, and that’s all I could ask for as a coach.”
Print Story | Email Story