image description
Dollar Tree is planning to move into the vacant spots in the L-Shaped Mall.

North Adams Planners Nix Dollar Store Sign

By Tammy DanielsiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

The original proposal is similar to the other businesses in the mall.
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — A supersize Dollar Tree sign got chopped down Monday, but the The Hub got the nod for sidewalk service.

The Redevelopment Authority, meeting for a public hearing prior to the Planning Board, wasn't impressed with The Dollar Tree's proposal to install 4-foot letters along the L-Shaped Mall and told it to come back with a lower figure.

The store is taking over the two storefronts that had been occupied by the Movie Gallery and a third that had last held a kids' clothing store. The interior is currently being refurbished and asbestos removed from the 30-year-old building.

Dollar Tree supplied a sign design in keeping with the 2-foot high signs used by other businesses in the mall, along with a reworked facade with the bright green larger sign.

"Not so many years ago when the owner of the plaza redid the entire place there was a lot of attention to how it looked and this was the design that was arrived at," said Chairman Paul Hopkins. "That really starts to A, break it up, and then it says to anybody else, you can change the facade, too, and I'm wondering what that would eventually do."

Jim Dean, representing The Dollar Tree, said "the reason we use a bigger sign is we don't advertise a lot. So this is really a calling card for us" and helps keep prices low.

The board said it understood the advertising gambit but wasn't prepared to drastically change the building's facade.

"You can have the color you want, you can have the typeface you want, but let's not make it three times the size of everything else," said Hopkins.

The board also expressed concern over the lack of access from the American Legion Drive side of the building. The mall had originally been conceived as being accessible from the parking lot, Main Street and American Legion Drive, but most businesses along the drive had reduced the doors to emergency exits. Dean said that was not likely to change.


There was no love for the Holiday Inn's big green sign.
The Redevelopment Authority also asked that the Holiday Inn reduce the size of the main sign it proposed for the entrance. The freestanding sign, also green, stands more than 8-feet tall. The rest of the new sign package was approved but the inn's general manager, Linette Searcy, was asked to return with sign modifications.

Both matters were continued to next month.

At the Planning Board meeting, The Hub Food & Spirits at 55 Main St. had its special permit amended for outside seating on the sidewalk in front of the building. "We're pretty cramped for space so I'm looking to see how much of the sidewalk i can infringe on," said co-owner Charles Doan.

Building Inspector William Meranti said there was 18 feet of space from the front of the restaurant to the curb. "The obstructions that are there (a tree and light post) are both spaced very conveniently on each side of the restaurant," he said.

Doan, who owns the restaurant with his daughter Kathryn Schilling, said he hasn't purchased any tables but they would likely be similar to those at Christo's and Petrino's. He said stanchions of some kind would be put up to rope off the area.

Planner Joseph Gniadek asked who would be liable if someone was to fall and hurt themselves on the tables. Administrative Officer Jay Green said it fell under the same area as sandwich boards and canopies; either the landlord or the owner of the business would have to assure the city they were covered by insurance.


"If there's someone with drinks, we're going to have to station somebody out there with them," said Doan. "It will have to be watched," added his wife, Barbara.

Doan said he had been approved by the License Commission to serve outside but was waiting approval from the state.

"I just want to have everything in place before I do this," he said. "I won't do this until fall, it's too hot out there anyway."

Planners also:

► Continued a hearing application from Thomas Snow, operating as Snoford LLC, to reopon the former Crystal Hard Hat location at 176 Union St. as a tavern. Landlord Charles "Rusty" Ransford attended the meeting as well. Ransford and Snow said there would be no significant changes to the building. Ransford said that with Grandmother's and the Homestead closed, there was room for another bar to open.

Planners expressed concern over parking, compliance with the current special permit and back taxes, and noted the Homestead on River Street had no affect on the Union Street location. Green said he had checked with the treasurer and Ransford's attorney has entered into a payment agreement on the $9,500 owed; the first payment was made last week.

"I would like to see an actual plan and would like to hear from the License Commission before this board makes a decision," said Hopkins. Snow is scheduled to go before the License Commission on Aug. 24; planners also referred the case to the Traffic Commission because of the recent ban on parking on nearby Canal Street.

► Approved a new sign at the Stop & Shop entrance.


American Cab's new digs on River Street.
► Reviewed letters from Laurie Smith and Candy Tripodes informing the city that American Cab & Livery Company proposes to move from State Road to 40 River Street; and from Janice Esoldi of I've Got Goodies about relocating from 85 Main St. to 73 Main St.

► Referred complaints about Tunnel City Auto brought to the City Council two weeks ago to the Compliance Committee. When questioned on the matter, Meranti he had been to the site numerous times in response to complaints.

"I have yet to find a blatant violation," he said, adding "these neighbors document everything and they say it's happening."

► The long-running fence issue at Pitcher's Mound was finally given the OK to go forward. While the planners cannot concern themselves with rights of way, they did require owner Frederick Spooner to delineate parking and traffic, and install the fence as he described it to the board. Spooner has been asking for months about installing the fence to separate his parking lot from the adjacent Xtramart.

Updated Aug. 11, 2010, at 1:18 to clarify Paul Hopkins is chairman of the Redevelopment Authority; Michael Leary, chairman of the Planning Board, was absent so Hopkins, as vice chairman, also chaired that meeting.

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough Board OKs Budget, Warrant Article Changes

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff

LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — The Select Board  last week approved the fiscal 2027 draft budget and made slight changes in the warrant articles impending town vote.

The proposed spending plan has an increase of a little over 10 percent. Some of the main budget increases are the Mount Greylock Regional School District and McCann Technical School: the McCann assessment is up more than 30 percent based on factors including enrollment and the renovation project, and Mount Greylock's is up 11 percent.

Another notable increase was in the life and health insurance, showing an increase of about 26 percent.

"I'd like everybody to know that the Town Hall staff, everybody, the Police Department, Fire Department, the DPW, they really looked over their budgets and went down to bare bones. I want to give them credit for that, because I think the townspeople should know that we are not only as a Select Board, as a town administrator, we are all looking to keep our taxes within a reasonable amount," said Chair Deborah Maynard.

"And I want you all to realize that the town staff and the departments have really brought their budgets down to bare bones. And I'm making this because the school department, in my opinion, and this is my opinion only, has not done their due diligence in bringing their budget under control over a 10 percent increase. I think regardless of what the insurance went up, I still think that they could have cut their budget a little more."

Maynard was the only no vote in endorsing the budget. 

The free cash warrant articles for the annual town meeting were approved with a couple of changes since last meeting.

The board added the transfer of $1,200 from free cash to purchase software to support tracking and ongoing maintenance schedules of all town-owned vehicles.

Instead of transferring $200,000 from free cash for the replacement of a fire engine, voters instead will be asked to transfer $380,000 from the fire truck stabilization fund and authorize the treasurer to borrow up to $700,000 with approval from the Select Board.

An article asking to increase the Zoning Board of Appeals membership from three to five members was  withdrawn as board member Michael Murphy felt it was not needed anymore.

Other changes was withdrawal of free cash article of $3,200 for the Assessors WebPro online search software after public comment from Barbara Hassan addressed a miscommunication with the assessors property card format. Officials want to find another way to get the information that will not cost the town.

The annual town meeting is Tuesday, June 9, at 6 p.m. Lanesborough Elementary School. The annual town election will take place June 16 at Town Hall with polls open noon until 8 p.m.

In other business, solar developer Kirt Mayland updated the board about the solar array project at Old Orebed Road and the work with EDF Power Solutions, which was the highest bidder on the project in 2022 and has been working to bring a solar array on the capped landfill.

The group recently finished an interconnection study with Eversource and connected with ISO New England to make sure they did not have any effects on the transmission system. The price was affordable with Eversource and can move forward if allowed.

EDF's last option agreement was terminated in January, and since 2022 it has been paying $5,000 to extend services, looking to extend again with the town. 

View Full Story

More Stories